Twin Sisters vs Chasm Lake

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

Twin Sisters vs Chasm Lake

Post by Liquid Shadow »

I am taking a large group of novice hikers on a hike this coming Friday. The original destination was going to be Chasm Lake on Longs, but I just learned that Twin Sisters is open again after the mudslide.

Which of the two has better trail/snow condition right now? Most of the people don't have waterproof boots and gaitors.

Thanks.
-OwenZ
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Twin Sisters vs Chasm Lake

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I haven't been up there lately but in general this time of year Twin Sisters would be a better choice if you want to do the whole hike. If you go to Chasm Lake there is usually a snow slope to cross right before you get to the lake that would likely be a problem for novices. You won't have any trouble getting to the junction at 3.5 miles though if you don't care that much about getting to the lake.

Either destination is still going to have snow and people without gaiters and waterproof boots might have some wet feet.
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Thank you Jon. Yes I remember the snowslope right before the lake. I think we will do Twin Sisters instead, it's shorter also. I will advise people to do the 2 socks plus plastic bag trick.
-OwenZ
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

Trail to Chasm Lake is snow covered for the majority below treeline, and only in a few spots above treeline. Easily supported our weight both up and down the trail. There is a spot around the bend to get to Chasm that isn't super steep, but I don't think I would take novices around it without them having an axe and knowing self-arrest. As said before though, you could get to the Chasm Lake cutoff point pretty easily. This info is what I know from 5/4. I don't know about Twin Sisters.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
Ceastar
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 72 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Ceastar »

Just hiked Twin Sisters on Sunday. The trail was about 50% covered and quite slushy on the way down, potential for knee-high post-holes in places if it softens more. The peaks are dry and fun scrambles. The slide is impressive. Have fun.
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Ceastar wrote:Just hiked Twin Sisters on Sunday. The trail was about 50% covered and quite slushy on the way down, potential for knee-high post-holes in places if it softens more. The peaks are dry and fun scrambles. The slide is impressive. Have fun.
Thanks for the update. We are going to try for early morning to avoid the afternoon slushiness.
-OwenZ
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Liquid Shadow wrote:Thank you Jon. Yes I remember the snowslope right before the lake. I think we will do Twin Sisters instead, it's shorter also. I will advise people to do the 2 socks plus plastic bag trick.
Never heard of that trick. Doesn't sound like a comfortable way to hike IMO.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

http://hiking.about.com/od/Tips-for-Hik ... c-Bags.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thankfully I don't need to use this trick myself, but for people with no proper boots, it's better than nothing.
-OwenZ