Bear Lake Area Snow Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

Bear Lake Area Snow Conditions

Post by Liquid Shadow »

I'm going to try to do the Dragontail couloir in the Bear Lake area in RMNP this coming Sunday. How packed down is the snow currently? Main concern is if I need to bring my snowshoes or not. Thanks!
-OwenZ
skik2000
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 12 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Bear Lake Area Snow Conditions

Post by skik2000 »

A friend and I are going up tomorrow or Friday to give Dragontail a shot. I'm somewhat skeptical given the warm nighttime temps but you never know until you get there. I'll give you an update after we go.

You won't need snowshoes for the approach but I'm not sure about coming down. It could turn into a wallow fest after you top out and come down Flattop. We hiked into the IPW yesterday to get a look at the Skywalker Couloir and didn't need snowshoes at all.
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Thanks man that would fantastic!
-OwenZ
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

I did a loop hike up Andrews Glacier and back down from Flattop on Monday and snowshoes were helpful on the descent from Flattop. Although I'm not exactly sure where DT puts you relative to the Flattop trail, but the worst part (requiring snowshoes) was near the top of Flattop so maybe you won't need them coming down. Once in the trees, the snow was pretty solid although warm temps could change that a lot. Snow was pretty soft on Andrews - hopefully it is more solid on DT.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
TeamDino5280
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TeamDino5280 »

did Dragons Tail on Monday, it was in great shape. On the hike in to Emerald lake there is snow but there is no need for floatation in the morning as it was frozen, Micro spikes would be helpful. In the afternoon the Flattop trail may be a little post-holish in spots(is that a word?).

There is a large cornice in the right arm which can be navigated IF you get there early enough BUT..... it will heat up fast and could be dangerous. We took the left arm and the Rock step took only about 3 moves to get over. We did not bring any ropes are pro as none were needed that day. There should still be some great steps going up.

Just past the Bear Lake TH

Approaching Emerald Lake

Looking down before the split

right below the split you can see the right side cornice

At the split

Approaching the rock step
TeamDino5280
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TeamDino5280 »

Forgot to add.....

the couloir most certainly will turn to mush by 9am. it was really really soft when we toped out at 9:45ish. So much so that we didn't ski it due to fear of wet slides and ended up skiing the NE side of Flat Top down to Lake Helene
skik2000
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skik2000 »

Thanks for the recent info! What time did you guys start from the TH?
TeamDino5280
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TeamDino5280 »

skik2000 wrote:Thanks for the recent info! What time did you guys start from the TH?
*** EDIT we started hiking at 7am, that was a wee bit late, I would say 6am start at the latest with the warmer temps.*** Just checked my time stamps
skik2000
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skik2000 »

I was thinking that 1hr45min was fast! We're pretty slow so will probably start quite early.
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Thanks for the beta. At my pace (I'm slow) I plan to be at Bear Lake by 4AM, and get to the base of the couloir no later than 6AM.
-OwenZ
TeamDino5280
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TeamDino5280 »

Ya I wish we were that fast :lol:

No problem on the beta glad to help. As long as you get it early should be good to go. It is in great shape have fun!
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

I would like to bag Flattop and Hallett Peak as well, so I will probably end up carrying my snowshoes up the couloir :|
-OwenZ