glacier gorge conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

glacier gorge conditions

Post by rdp32 »

I am hoping to spend a day hiking this weekend and am interested in visiting the popular Glacier Gorge area of RMNP. Has anybody been to Black Lake or Sky Pond recently? If so, what are the current conditions? I'll plan on bringing my microspikes; I assume snowshoes are not necessary?

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: glacier gorge conditions

Post by Dave B »

From MP
Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (89.78 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
Make wilderness less accessible.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

We hiked as far as the Loch on Sunday but turned around because it was raining on us (and our intended snow route up Powell) at 5am as we were worried about snow conditions up higher given the fresh rain.

You don't need snowshoes for the hike we did, some minor postholing but the main trail is well packed out and they would not be worth the weight. Depending on time of day and how much of a freeze, it might be icy in patches. There are several dry stretches of trail as well depending on sun exposure. The Loch itself is melted, but surrounded by snow.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks for the feedback. I would probably only want to go there if I could safely make it to either Sky Pond or Black Lake (and if I do Black Lake I'd prefer to go when it's relatively easy to go a little past/above the Lake); I'd hate to drive all the way up there and get turned back sooner.

Any other suggestions for hikes that have good conditions this time of year? I'm up for anything up to about 3500 ft elevation gain or so (maybe up to 12 miles or so), with a relatively gentle descent for my knee, and hopefully with minimal postholing. I don't care too much about crowds or elevation (don't need a 14er) but just want to see the most spectacular scenery that I can.

Thanks
Chicago Transplant
Trip Reports (66)

For a consolation I climbed Twin Sisters (11ers), trail all the way to the saddle between the two summits. The trail is pretty much completely dry except for a few short sections near treeline where it goes on the east side of the mountain. The views are spectacular up top, especially of Longs and Meeker. The east summit (farther from the radio tower) is the higher one.

One notable issue is that there was a big mudslide that took out parts of the trail, its easy to cross and well cairned but when the trail switchbacks into the mudslide area you have to bushwhack to connect the trail segments. Most of that is cairned as well and the bushwhacking is not bad at all. Lots of people up there on Sunday and it didn't seem to faze anyone. I would recommend trekking poles, especially for the descent, as steep 'swhacking isn't always pleasant on the knees, but as the route is mostly on trail you should be in good shape. You also have to park at the Lily Lake lot at highway 7 because the road to the Twin Sisters TH is gated shut, and partially washed out.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks for the suggestion! Would you say that hiking to the saddle of Twin Sisters was better than hiking to the Loch? Both options seem disappointing... I was hoping that by June it would be snow-free enough to get to, say, Sky Pond or the Twin Sisters summits (this is my first year here in CO).
mcmanusj
14ers: 43 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mcmanusj »

rdp32 wrote:Thanks for the suggestion! Would you say that hiking to the saddle of Twin Sisters was better than hiking to the Loch? Both options seem disappointing... I was hoping that by June it would be snow-free enough to get to, say, Sky Pond or the Twin Sisters summits (this is my first year here in CO).
The twin sisters summits are only a few hundred feet (if that) from the saddle. I haven't been up there but I'd imagine the difference in snow cover from the saddle to the summits is negligible.
Chicago Transplant
Trip Reports (66)

There is hardly any snow on the Twin Sisters at all, and none in the summit area. The only snow is some packed out sections on the trail where it swings around to east/northeast facing slopes in the trees, and maybe one or two very small patches above treeline and all of it is very tracked out. Snow is not an issue on those peaks. There was a lot more snow on the trial to the Loch then there was on the Sisters. You can certainly climb the Twin Sisters with no snow gear, nobody that was up there Sunday had anything more than trekking poles for gear.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Great! I'll plan on Twin Sisters then. (when you said you just went to the saddle between the peaks, I had assumed it was because of current conditions). Thanks again for the feedback.
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

Any updates from this most recent weekend? Pondering options for tomorrow.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Was up there yesterday (Sunday). Fairly dry to Loch Vale (patches of snow just below the lake). Took the Andrews Creek trail and went up the headwall to Andrews Tarn. Weather was looking iffy so didn't do Andrews Glacier and went back down to main trail and then up to Sky Pond. Needed snowshoes on the Andrews Creek trail portion. The rest was pretty solid and held up fairly well most of the day. PM me an email address and I will email you pics tonight if you like. --Jay
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

Jay521 wrote:Was up there yesterday (Sunday). Fairly dry to Loch Vale (patches of snow just below the lake). Took the Andrews Creek trail and went up the headwall to Andrews Tarn. Weather was looking iffy so didn't do Andrews Glacier and went back down to main trail and then up to Sky Pond. Needed snowshoes on the Andrews Creek trail portion. The rest was pretty solid and held up fairly well most of the day. PM me an email address and I will email you pics tonight if you like. --Jay
Thanks for the reply, Jay. Due to time constraints, we put the Glacier Gorge objectives on hold and had a pleasant day in the Tyndall Gorge area.