Crested Butte hiking trail conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kstrong1109
Trip Reports (0)

Crested Butte hiking trail conditions?

Post by kstrong1109 »

My daughter and I are going to be in Crested Butte next week, and are hoping to get some good hiking in, but I'm wondering what the trail conditions are. Is there still a lot of snow? If so, does anyone have any early season hikes they would recommend (2 - 4 hours in length, moderate difficulty) that aren't apt to be TOO sloppy? Thanks!
alsrun
14ers: 50 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crested Butte hiking trail conditions?

Post by alsrun »

There is still a lot of snow above 11,000' and the rivers are raging. The trails in the Cement Creek area are drying out pretty good and you should be able to get some low level hikes in "up valley." Check in with the folks who run the Alpineer gear store in town and they will let you know current conditions when you roll into town.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

most of the trails around town are dry except for north facing (lower loop, green lake trail, ect) which are pretty muddy still. Stick to south facing hikes and you'll be able to get up pretty high at this point. Most of the deep snowpack is up in the paradise divide/schofield pass area.

Lots of flowers coming out on Upper Upper, lupine trails in the last week, lots of dandelions everywhere too. Snodgrass could be open next week which would be a nice hike, Deer creek is mostly dry as well. You should be able to also get up into the Teocalli mtn basin which would be a nice hike as well. There are tons of options, just not high peaks/alpine unless you like snow.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Yeah, you're definitely looking at the lower elevation trails as suggested. I heard Deer creek could use another week or so. Lupine, the upper/upper upper/whetstone vista trails are good options, along with CB south. If you're willing to cross Copper Creek, it's dry for a couple of hours as an out and back. Bet the waterfalls are going, too.
kstrong1109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kstrong1109 »

Thanks so much, everyone, for your advice re: hiking out of Crested Butte! It's really nice to feel more prepared going there tomorrow with my daughter.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

[quote="kstrong1109"]Thanks so much, everyone, for your advice re: hiking out of Crested Butte! It's really nice to feel more prepared going there tomorrow with my daughter.[/quote

everything is green and beautiful right now, flowers just starting as well, enjoy!
10329774_10102045869882380_1476324186476732528_o.jpg
10329774_10102045869882380_1476324186476732528_o.jpg (216.86 KiB) Viewed 344 times
tundratif
14ers: 38 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tundratif »

Bump.
Does anyone have any updates on hiking trails in the area? Specifically can you get to the Yule Pass / Paradise Divide area via car? I saw a comment in another thread about road damage near there, but wasn't quite clear on what the issue was. Also is it still snowy around that elevation or is it dry? Would it be a good backpack trip for this weekend?

Also, looking for information on the Beckwith Pass Trail coming off of the Lost Lake area.
Thanks!
"You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. But you can decide how you're going to live now." - Joan Baez
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Yule Pass is definitely snowy, and Paradise Divide cannot be reached by car at this time. You will want an ice axe and crampons, as the route passes some steep areas that are still holding snow, and there have been accidents at this time of year. The closest you could get is probably up Washington Gulch, to Elkton.

Beckweth Pass is probably close to ready, but expect some muddy conditions and some snow.
tundratif
14ers: 38 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tundratif »

Thanks for the info! That's exactly what I was looking for.
"You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. But you can decide how you're going to live now." - Joan Baez