Manitou Incline/Barr parking changes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Manitou Incline/Barr parking changes

Post by djkest »

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Wondering what people think of the changes to parking near the Barr Trail and Manitou incline. I had went earlier this year and when we went last weekend it seems the parking situation has changed dramatically.

1) Lots and lots of new signs all over Ruxton Ave.
2) Lots of parking meters on Ruxton Ave and downtown
3) Certain "residents only" parking zones
4) More agressive enforcement- many parking enforcement officers now patrol the area to give out tickets.

I can't say I am impressed with the changes. We arrived at 7:30 on Saturday and of course the barr trail lot was full. The former "incline parking lot" seemed to be blocked off for Cog Railway passengers only. The attendant told me I should park downtown and take the shuttle. So we parked downtown and paid for parking, and then walked to the nearest bus stop. When the first bus got there, it was completely empty. Apparently that was the "downtown" bus and not the cog/incline bus. So he continued to drive his empty bus up and down main street. When the next bus arrived 5 minutes later, it was completely full. So we ended up walking up to the Barr trailhead anyway, after waiting 10+ minutes for a bus. It was frustrating to say the least. We also helped a tourist from Texas get to the Cog station about 5 minutes before his train left- he also was trying to get on the full bus.

On the way back we had just missed the bus down. I ran from the Iron Chateau down to our car and actually ended up passing the bus and beating it by about 5 minutes with all the stops it makes. I understand this is probably a better situation for people who live on Ruxton, but it doesn't appear to be functioning well for hikers or cog riders.

I heard you can park at the farthest away lot and are pretty much gaurenteed a spot on the bus, but then you are still subject to a long and slow bus ride and waiting for the bus to arrive. It could take you as much as 40 minutes from the time you park until the time you arrive at the trailhead- at which point walking would be much faster. #-o
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
bradyj
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Manitou Incline/Barr parking changes

Post by bradyj »

Its not the best but it is much more organized than before. I dont like paying for parking but they were having too many problems up there. The bus may be slow but they have a free parking lot so its hard to complain about free. I understand your frustrations but this solution is much better than shutting the incline down permanently. Just my 2 cents.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

It sucks! If I start around 5:45 AM I'll finish around 7ish which gets me out of town before the parking enforcement guys start their day.

Even at 5:45 AM I occasionally have trouble finding a parking spot...

(edit) Two other options I've done when I have time is to either bike up from the free lot at Memorial Park or just sit in my car by Iron Springs Chateau until a spot on Ruxton Avenue opens.
Last edited by jrs1965 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djkest
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

I just checked, and it was 1.25 miles from where we parked to the Barr trailhead. The free parking lot is ~1.4 miles away.

I don't feel "entitled" to access I guess I am just expressing frustration with the new improved system. Perhaps when cog season winds down they will re-open the paid parking lot for the incline.
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

I think it was inevitable since there are so many people using those trails now, but it isn't too bad to park in Manitou and walk up. In fact, it is a nice warm up to the steep incline. However, the crowds on Barr Trail and the Incline have gotten so bad that I have no interest in visiting those trails again any time soon. There are a lot of other trails you can do with similar elevation gain and not have trail runners constantly running past you. Here in Boulder, Shadow Canyon is nearly the same difficulty.
djkest
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

jsdratm wrote: However, the crowds on Barr Trail and the Incline have gotten so bad that I have no interest in visiting those trails again any time soon. There are a lot of other trails you can do with similar elevation gain and not have trail runners constantly running past you.
Yeah, I think your right. I need to start scouting out other hiking trails in the area because the huge amounts of 2-way traffic on the relatively narrow trail did make for a lot of stopping and starting. Time for me to branch out.

Here's a good list:
https://www.springsgov.com/units/parksr ... Trails.pdf
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 »

It seems like they changed a lot of parking spots into "resident only". I remember two or three spots RIGHT across from the Cog building that are no longer available. As well as spots across from the Chateau Restaurant that were available before the pay to park change

What annoys me is how that Cog parking lot is always empty after 5pm or so. Sure, it is their property, but how simple would it be if they switched it to incline parking after the last train came down? They'd be able to make more money off it, and it would relieve a ton of the parking issues
jrs1965
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

djkest wrote:
jsdratm wrote: However, the crowds on Barr Trail and the Incline have gotten so bad that I have no interest in visiting those trails again any time soon. There are a lot of other trails you can do with similar elevation gain and not have trail runners constantly running past you.
Yeah, I think your right. I need to start scouting out other hiking trails in the area because the huge amounts of 2-way traffic on the relatively narrow trail did make for a lot of stopping and starting. Time for me to branch out.

Here's a good list:
https://www.springsgov.com/units/parksr ... Trails.pdf
Not on the Springs gov list is Cameron Cone pictured here. I was thinking about maybe trying Cameron during the Incline refurbishment this fall...
Attachments
Larkspur & Cameron Cone.jpg
Larkspur & Cameron Cone.jpg (125.3 KiB) Viewed 834 times
Corn
14ers: 31  4 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Corn »

I think the whole thing is a joke! $5 dollars for parking, fine whatever. But to shut the lot down at certain times for the cog people pisses me off. The last time I went up there they had the lot closed like you said and when I asked the attendant why it was closed off he told me it was for the people on the Cog. I replied that I spend $5 dollars a couple times a week, so why are we given the shaft? No good answer in response. I think the system in Manitou is a little jacked and I'm glad to be done with the incline until next winter, I've got 14ers to climb!
jrs1965
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Corn wrote:I think the whole thing is a joke! $5 dollars for parking, fine whatever. But to shut the lot down at certain times for the cog people pisses me off. The last time I went up there they had the lot closed like you said and when I asked the attendant why it was closed off he told me it was for the people on the Cog. I replied that I spend $5 dollars a couple times a week, so why are we given the shaft? No good answer in response. I think the system in Manitou is a little jacked and I'm glad to be done with the incline until next winter, I've got 14ers to climb!
I've talked to the attendent as well and he indicated to me that they based closing the Cog lot off to Incline people on the number of reservations they have for the day.

Regardless of it being a circus it's a great workout...
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

One of my favorite trails in the area was from North Cheyenne Canon to St. Mary's Falls and Mt. Rosa. Very secluded and rarely any people seen once you get off Gold Camp Road, plus beautiful scenery the whole way. I think Blodgett Peak would also be a good alternative to the incline.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

They're not "shutting the lot for the Cog", they're opening it for the Incline when they can. Get used to it, the Incline is too popular for the available parking on Ruxton and it's going to stay that way.

The place to park for free is behind Tajine Alami just east of Memorial Park. The first stop on the Ruxton shuttle is there, so it's also the best place to get a seat on the bus. We've just been walking up to the trailheads from Memorial since last year's change in the fees; it's only a bit over a mile each way, so (bonus!) you get a warmup at the beginning and a cooldown at the end. And you're there for the exercise, right? This way you get more (double bonus!).

Shuttle info: http://transit.coloradosprings.gov/tran ... er-shuttle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Incline/Cog shuttle leaves the Tajine Alami every 20 minutes (x:00, x:20, x:40) early, then every 10 minutes mid-day.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump