lone eagle cirque conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

lone eagle cirque conditions

Post by rdp32 »

Hello all,

The Lone Eagle Cirque in the Indian Peaks Wilderness is on my to-hike list, and I'm hoping it can happen this weekend. However, I have never been to that area, and am new to CO, so I have several questions:

1. Does anyone have any idea what the current conditions are? I have microspikes and don't mind a little snow/ice but will save this hike for later if there is much snow/postholing.

2. Are there any stream crossings to be aware of? Not sure why, but stream crossings frighten me more than they probably should. Or please let me know if there are any difficult parts (scrambles or whatever) to be aware of. I am assuming the trail is well-marked?

3. Does anyone happen to have a link to a map of that area? Otherwise I'll have to look around for one.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Re: lone eagle cirque conditions

Post by Brian C »

1. I'd call the ranger station. They would have the most current info on conditions in the basin.

2. There are some bridge crossings in the upper basin, no idea of their conditions. The rangers should though.

3. http://www.acemaps.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Re: lone eagle cirque conditions

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks for the tips. I called the ranger station and they said as of last weekend there was still 2-3 feet of snow for the last 3-4 miles or so in to Crater Lake. I'll probably put this one off for later.