TenMile Range Traverse Question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
riverkid
Trip Reports (0)

TenMile Range Traverse Question

Post by riverkid »

Hello all,
I am planning on doing the tenmile range traverse at some point and was wondering what the snow looks like on the ridge line. I tried looking at the Breckenridge Resort cameras and looks like there is some snow, but there is really no good view of the ridge.
Thanks and enjoy!
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: TenMile Range Traverse Question

Post by TravelingMatt »

Crappy cellphone photo, as of 10 minutes ago:
Attachments
Tenmile Range 19-June-2014
Tenmile Range 19-June-2014
P06-19-14_11.31.jpg (60.17 KiB) Viewed 806 times
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

From my last look at the Frisco side there is still snow between the Mt Royal split to Mt Victoria. Aournd Victoria snow is avoidable but the upper section to Peak 1 still has a lot of snow. Also lots of snow between 1 and Tenmile.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Steve Nicholls
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 168
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Nicholls »

For what its worth, they rerouted Saturday's Summer Solstice Ultra due to snow conditions on the Miner's Creek Trail.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Does anyone have an update ? I assume things have changed a lot in the last 4 weeks.
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

jomagam wrote:Does anyone have an update ? I assume things have changed a lot in the last 4 weeks.
Depends which version of the 10 mile traverse you are referring to. I've heard a number of people say it is the entire range ... from Peaks 1 through 10. With this, there may still be some snow on either of the ends.

Cooper has a different version in his scramble book that is only Peaks 2 through 5, accessed by four wheeling into Miners Creek and doing a loop. This includes the hardest sections and it looks dry.

Peaks 3,2,1 Pic taken July 1.
Peaks 3, 2, 1.JPG
Peaks 3, 2, 1.JPG (104.63 KiB) Viewed 590 times

Peaks 4 & 3 Pic taken July 6.
Peaks 4, 3.JPG
Peaks 4, 3.JPG (105.1 KiB) Viewed 590 times
If you are using Coopers book, the crux ... what he calls the "Dragon" is in the far right side of this close up. Pic taken July 6.
Peaks 4-3 Crux close up.JPG
Peaks 4-3 Crux close up.JPG (86.83 KiB) Viewed 590 times
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Thanks. I was thinking Mt Royal to Peak 10. Snow on later peaks is not that much of a problem because I assume you can always go around then, since they're not that steep.