Hells Hole lakes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Hells Hole lakes

Post by jomagam »

Couple of Q-s after my hike there today:

1. Can one get to Lake Edith from the trailhead ? Or is it all private ?

2. This is the second time that I've heard somebody mention a lake about 3 miles from the TH off of a side trail, but the map doesn't show anything and I didn't see a fork. Is there one ?
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Hells Hole lakes

Post by JeffR »

jomagam wrote:Couple of Q-s after my hike there today:

1. Can one get to Lake Edith from the trailhead ? Or is it all private ?

2. This is the second time that I've heard somebody mention a lake about 3 miles from the TH off of a side trail, but the map doesn't show anything and I didn't see a fork. Is there one ?
1. All private.

2. There are a few mud-holes up near HH, but that's it.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

All I remember is a tiny rivulet of a waterfall coming off a rust colored cliff. This was below the west face of Gray Wolf! With a name like that, I had to check it out!
Ragin Cajun
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

After looking at maps, talking to some locals, and searching the Interwebs I think the 'Hole' is actually east (to the left as you're heading out) of the established trail and there really isn't much of a lake there. More of a shallow pond with a good sized block in the middle. The area around the pond is marshy with lots of willows but there is some higher ground that people have camped on around the perimeter.

Here is a pic of one or our dogs in front of the block: ImageSitaka by thecrankymonkey, on Flickr

ImageHells Hole 18-Apr-08 10-05-03 PM by thecrankymonkey, on Flickr

Been there in the summer conditions but can't find a pic of that.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Yeah, there wasn't much of a lake there last weekend, even with all the melting going on.