Richthofen / lake Agnes conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
a94buff
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (3)

Richthofen / lake Agnes conditions?

Post by a94buff »

Headed up this weekend; any beta on conditions up to Richthofen much appreciated. And anything on what the fish in the lake are eating would be great too. :) thanks!
mike offerman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Richthofen / lake Agnes conditions?

Post by mike offerman »

We drove by on Hwy 14 Sat afternoon. There was still snow in the trees, and it looked like you could only drive to where the Lake Agnes road turns off from the crags campground road. The basin above the lake looked like it was still holding a lot of snow, should make a nice snow climb.
a94buff
Trip Reports (3)

Post by a94buff »

That's great info thanks-
herdbull
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

I'm not a local but I have found that when there's still significant snow the best way in is to park at Cameron Pass and take the nice dirt/gravel road across the HWY. It will be clear almost all the way in because they keep it plowed or clean most of the winter. It beats the heck out of that road in if it's even open. It might be a bit longer but it's easy walking or pedaling. And the views are pretty decent too.

Photo circa July 2011.
Attachments
Co July 2011_306.JPG
Co July 2011_306.JPG (177.3 KiB) Viewed 711 times
siop
Trip Reports (0)

Post by siop »

I haven't been up there this year, but I did research on Richthofen/Lake Agnes for 4 summers in grad school. Each summer I was out there was usually significant snow until at least July. I always set up my base camp at the upper American Lake since it was less crowded than Lake Agnes, but it usually melted out slower. I also usually hiked in at the end of May and came up Michigan ditch and wouldn't hit snow until the lower American Lakes.
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson
mike offerman
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mike offerman »

I only took one photo of the area, and from quite a distance.
Mt R.jpg
Mt R.jpg (67.71 KiB) Viewed 669 times
a94buff
Trip Reports (3)

Post by a94buff »

Thanks everyone! Very helpful and much appreciated.