Ice Lakes conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Ice Lakes conditions?

Post by dr_j »

Hopefully this is the right forum for this Planning on going this weekend, what's the status of the trail with regards to snow? Are the wildflowers blooming yet?
IG: jc_solitude
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Re: Ice Lakes conditions?

Post by SnowAlien »

The last update I saw was this one:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatu ... ecnum=3230" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Curious in more recent update as well since I am heading that way myself early next week.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Wasn't there specifically, but just got back from three days in the San Juans. There is still a lot of snow up high in places it typically collects (basins, ravines etc). It seemed the further west you were, the more snow there was. The La Garita area (east of 149) has mostly dried out. Expect dampness/runoff in flatter areas.

Wildflower season is underway, but it's mostly the smaller flowers for now. The columbines are just budding.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Thanks Matt. I was specifically looking for Vermillion and Niagara/Jones group. Probably would still be wise to take ice ax/crampons, but if that's the case, I'd rather bring skis :)
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

An ax is probably overkill unless you're doing scrambly stuff, but crampons are not a bad idea.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

I would ALWAYS take an axe, still a bunch of snow up that way
Climb up Pints down
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I would bring the axe, when I did the route July 21 2007 the entire slope up to the Fuller Vermilion saddle was snow and I was glad to have it. It holds snow pretty late into the year.

If its in, you should ski Vermilion Dollar Couloir :-D
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day