Colorado Springs/El Paso Cty

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Max Moorman
14ers: 26 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Colorado Springs/El Paso Cty

Post by Max Moorman »

jrs1965 wrote:
Max Moorman wrote:Am I the only one who likes Heizer?
I've not heard of them, but for me they look like they'll be a good Incline substitute during the renovation this fall.
Right on. They sure ought to be. Both gain a lot of elevation over a relatively short distance and feature beautiful views of Pikes Peak from the top.
Jim Davies wrote:
Vermont Mike wrote:trails around Jones Park/Bear Creek due to fishy circumstances.
Bear Creek and Jones Park have been reopened. Get 'em while you can.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 852&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great news! Maybe I'll hit that area Sunday after Shav/Tab on Saturday. Old Stage Road still closed though, right?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Yep, in fact they just announced Old Stage will be closed until about September.
http://www.krdo.com/news/old-stage-road ... r/26686092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Max Moorman
14ers: 26 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Max Moorman »

Jim Davies wrote:Yep, in fact they just announced Old Stage will be closed until about September.
http://www.krdo.com/news/old-stage-road ... r/26686092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dang. Oh well, at least they're making progress on planning repairs. Hopefully we can all get back up there this fall.
colorado yooper
14ers: 40  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by colorado yooper »

Max Moorman wrote:Am I the only one who likes Heizer?

Nope.

Also the Catamount trails off of Edlow Road in Woodland Park are nice rolling and not as steep as the others.
To the High Crags!
Dean82
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dean82 »

I like Hiezer, but Blodgett is better. Plus, after the Waldo burn I bet you can find the plane crash easier. My recommendation on Blodgett is always hang left of dry creek. Then you will hike along this cliff wall to the right. After cliff you will meet up with a trail and hang left. Then the obvious right up to the saddle. After you summit you can head down a ridge from the saddle and find a plane crash memorial. Both Hiezer and especially Blodgett are not hiked often. You may not see anyone on a weekday.
Fleischco
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Fleischco »

Is Williams Canyon open? That was always a nice option especially with Waldo Canyon closed.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Nope, still closed.

I'll second the suggestion to get a Pikes Peak Atlas.

Red Rock Canyon has become another favorite for us (along with North Cheyenne Canyon and Cheyenne Mountain State Park). Contemplative Trail to Roundup to Quarry Pass to Contemplative makes a nice loop. There's also a good connection from Section 16 northward along a ridge to Hogback Valley that's we like - lots of connected trails and potential routes there.

The state park has an entrance fee, but good biking trails (rolling foothills) and lots of wildlife.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
summit21
14ers: 47 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summit21 »

Queen's canyon was a jewel of a hike before the fire, but has been closed since. Anyone have any idea if it is ever going to reopen?
"The weather? The weather? Just show up at the trailhead and see what happens...you'll be surprised!"