Colorado Springs/El Paso Cty

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
adren65
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Colorado Springs/El Paso Cty

Post by adren65 »

Hi all`
Wondering if there are any recommendations for some great hikes in Colorado Springs?

Thanks very much
Max Moorman
14ers: 26 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Colorado Springs/El Paso Cty

Post by Max Moorman »

Not quite in Colorado Springs, but I really enjoy the Mount Heizer (http://www.summitpost.org/mount-heizer/483183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and Mount Esther trails (http://www.summitpost.org/un-9540-mount-esther/487046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The Heizer trailhead is roughly a 20-minute drive from the west side of Colorado Springs, and the Esther trailhead is maybe 25-30 minutes.
xcrunner365
14ers: 44 
13ers: 68
Trip Reports (0)

Post by xcrunner365 »

Mount Cutler in north Cheyenne Canyon is a quick and relatively easy summit hike. Red rock canyon park/ section 16 is a also a great hike with awesome views. You could also do the incline and the Barr trail if you're up for the challenge.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Here's how I answered a similar question two years ago: https://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t ... 08#p419250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wrote:North Cheyenne Canyon is a local gem of an area that's not widely appreciated, but where I do a lot of my hiking. I'd recommend one of the following three, then maybe something else around the region for variety.

1. Mount Cutler is a good warm-up. 2 miles round-trip, 500' vertical, overlooks the Broadmoor area and Seven Falls. Be sure to make the side trip to the overlook (right fork shortly before the summit).

2. Seven Bridges takes you up a canyon along a rushing stream (after a half-mile dirt road approach). Since it's an out-and-back, you can make it as long or short as you want; there are rock outcroppings overlooking a low-angle falls about 2 miles/1000' in, or if you're feeling ambitious you can go another 1.5 miles/1000' to the rocky summit of Mt Kineo.

3. St. Mary's Falls starts on the same road, but follows a different creek up to a nice 60-foot waterfall (one of the best in the area, IMO). 6 miles r/t.

Other hikes you might want to do on another day:
Mount Herman (overlooking Monument). ~4 mile r/t, nice views, should have columbines blooming in mid-June.
Waldo Canyon (three miles west of Manitou Springs). 7 mile r/t including a 3-mile loop, good views of Pikes Peak.
Spruce Mountain, 5 miles r/t including a 2-mile loop around the summit of an isolated mesa north of Palmer Lake. Good rock outcroppings, views.
Note that Waldo Canyon is now closed, but might reopen in the fall.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
emiller6
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by emiller6 »

There's two great hikes on the Air Force Academy grounds, Stanley Canyon and Eagles Peak. Both are accessible to the public and see relatively little traffic. If you want an incline experience w/o the crowds, Eagles Peak provides similar elevation gains over a similar distance. Stanley Canyon is just an awesome hike following a stream up a narrow canyon.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

adren65 wrote:Hi all`
Wondering if there are any recommendations for some great hikes in Colorado Springs?

Thanks very much
My favorites are The Incline, Stanley Canyon, Barr Camp, and Mt. Rosa. The Crags are also nice but not in the Springs. Once the Incline closes for renovation I'm going to give Cameron Cone a try since it's nearby...
Vermont Mike
14ers: 36 
13ers: 32 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vermont Mike »

-- Mount Muscoco/Daniel's Pass loop from the Mt. Cutler trailhead in North Cheyenne Canyon, with side trip to abandoned settlement if desired

-- Mount Rosa from North Cheyenne Canyon

-- Cameron Cone from Ruxton Ave. in Manitou

-- Section 16/Palmer Loop if you're a trail runner

Grab a Pikes Peak Atlas from REI or Mountain Chalet on Tejon Street downtown COS, it's the best resource for the area.

Unfortunately access to a lot of the good hikes in the area is (hopefully temporarily) cut off, with the closure of Old Stage Road due to flooding and trails around Jones Park/Bear Creek due to fishy circumstances.
SES_17
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by SES_17 »

Blodgett Peak off of Woodmen Rd. The upper half of the hike is intense and the last push to the summit goes through some Waldo Canyon burn area with some humbling views. Highly recommended.
https://www.springsgov.com/Page.aspx?NavID=2101
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
jrs1965
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

SES_17 wrote:Blodgett Peak off of Woodmen Rd. The upper half of the hike is intense and the last push to the summit goes through some Waldo Canyon burn area with some humbling views. Highly recommended.
I forgot about Blodgett. Here's a pic of the burn area taken from the summit of Blodgett.
Attachments
Blodgett.jpg
Blodgett.jpg (107.24 KiB) Viewed 425 times
Max Moorman
14ers: 26 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Max Moorman »

Am I the only one who likes Heizer?
jrs1965
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Max Moorman wrote:Am I the only one who likes Heizer?
I've not heard of them, but for me they look like they'll be a good Incline substitute during the renovation this fall.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Vermont Mike wrote:trails around Jones Park/Bear Creek due to fishy circumstances.
Bear Creek and Jones Park have been reopened. Get 'em while you can.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 852&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump