Sangres Conditions - East Side

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sangres Conditions - East Side

Post by bonehead »

drewdraws wrote:this fat, slow, old man decided to get them another day :-D
That sounds great.
I always pack lunch for a crowd.
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Flyingmagpie – Thanks for the info on conditions and for the route suggestion on Little Horn. I had been looking at the NE ridge. Do you think the Horn Creek trail is free of snow? It sounds like you saw snow on the Dry Creek trail.
flyingmagpie
14ers: 56 
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (23)

Post by flyingmagpie »

highplaces--
illusion7il left a post earlier on your thread saying he found some patchy snow in the Horn Creek Basin but that it was easily avoidable. That northeast ridge on Little Horn would probably go. It looks quite a bit more rugged to me than the the west ridge which joins up with Fluted Peak, though. The trail to Horn Lakes is a long one, I would say maybe 5 miles. I always feel pretty tired when I get to the lakes. The northeast ridge would be shorter, but would involve bushwacking through the trees lower down, and as I say it looked pretty rugged to me from Horn Peak. One advantage of going up from Horn Lakes is that you could probably get Fluted, too, without much more effort. Your call. Whatever you feel most comfortable doing. Locals sometimes do a three peak loop: climbing Horn via the standard route, crossing the ridge and getting Fluted, then crossing the next ridge and catching Little Horn. This early in the season I hadn't built up enough endurance yet, and just getting Horn really wore me out!
"I've found the truest paths always lead through mountains."

--Kate Wolf, "An Unfinished Life"
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Thanks flyingmagpie - my fault for not connecting on that earlier post. Great info, thanks!