Sangres Conditions - East Side

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Sangres Conditions - East Side

Post by highplaces »

Hi, I'm looking for info on the current conditions for the east side of the Sangres. Has anyone been in these areas recently?

Rito Alto Pk
Hermit Pk
Little Horn Pk
Marble Mtn

From what I've read, it seems that a lot of the area is snowfree and dry, just trying to confirm. Thanks!
pbarbehenn
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sangres Conditions - East Side

Post by pbarbehenn »

Looking for same -- and mosquito conditions, too, please?
David Allen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by David Allen »

I am sitting in Westcliffe looking at the Sangres right now. Most of the snow is gone. In our last few hikes we only encountered a little snow in the trees at the tree line. Our only problem has been a few windy days up high. We went up Hermit Peak about a week ago and there were a couple areas where the road to the pass was snow covered but the peak itself could be climbed without going through snow.
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

Went up Mt Adams via Horn creek TH on Wed. 6/25 A couple avoidable patches of snow just before the lakes. Some soggy spots on the trail. Only encountered a few mosquitos, but there were a few pesky flys. Beautiful area. Fun Route. No people.
Tigerbear
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 87
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tigerbear »

There seems to be more snow remaining just below the saddles on the east side and faces of the east side. I was camped below venable pass in groundhog basin on the west side last sunday . Without and axe we had to skirt around parts of the east face down to venable lake. The misquitoes were herrendous below treeline. We camped at 11,400. It was very pleasant there!
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

The mosquitos are bad. This depends on the location though. Be safe out there and always carry your mosquito head net and spare long sleeves and pants.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

I have day hiked Commanche, Venables and Horn in the last ten days.
From the East side.
What little snow remaining is all avoidable.
I have ran across no mosquitoes.
But the flies and other buzzers are pesky indeed.
Driving high on Hermit pass road will present snow problems.
Otherwise I see no problems with the peaks you mentioned.
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Excellent news, thanks all for the current conditions!
flyingmagpie
14ers: 56 
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (23)

Post by flyingmagpie »

highplaces--
I climbed Horn Peak today by the standard (North Ridge) route. Up high, there was some snow lingering in the shadows of the trees, but I found only one small patch (two-three feet wide and deep) that went across the trail. In just a couple days, I imagine that patch will be gone. I didn't wear mosquito repellent, and had no issues with mosquitoes. On the descent, back in the trees, flies were attracted to the salt on my skin from sweating. Pesky. Above treeline, the wind was blowing strong today. So strong and cold I almost turned around, but I'm glad I didn't because as the morning warmed the wind lessened. I got a good look at Little Horn from Horn, and could see no snow on the Peak. In the trees in the valley below Dry Lakes, it looked like there were still some big drifts. I imagine you will be approaching Little Horn Peak from the smallest, northernmost Horn Lake, though. That would be the way I would do it. The climb up to the western ridgeline of Little Horn Peak from the smallest Horn Lake is so forgiving, I have seen horseback riders gain the ridgeline from there. Kind of a tundra walk. No talus. Hope that helps.
"I've found the truest paths always lead through mountains."

--Kate Wolf, "An Unfinished Life"
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

bonehead wrote:Driving high on Hermit pass road will present snow problems.
How high would you estimate you could drive? And how avoidable (on foot) would you say the snow is above that?

Thanks much.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Depends on which pot shop you frequent.

Both times I was up there was by jeep.
And that's been five or more years ago.
There is a one lane east facing section up quite high
that holds snow very late in the season.
Maybe in the last mile or two.
And that will make the road unpassable by vehicle.
But easily passable on foot.
I have seen trip reports on this site of people climbing up
not using the road.
I'm sure there are many options.

Parking up near the pass is the worst marmot
horror story hell hole in the state.
Even a short outing can leave your vehicle in ruin.
drewdraws
14ers: 26 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by drewdraws »

Was up there today the road is clear of snow up till around 12,000 and you might be able to get by that if your vehicle is not too wide. The next snow field is impassable (in a vehicle) at around 12,900. We parked at 11,800 and hiked up Rito Alto and Hermit. I looked at Lake of the Clouds and Eagle no snow issues however this fat, slow, old man decided to get them another day :-D