Pt. 12,798 (5.4) Info?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Pt. 12,798 (5.4) Info?

Post by TomPierce »

I'm going into the Cimarron area outside Ridgeway to do some climbing weekend after next. I'm meeting a buddy for one climb but thought about going in earlier and doing a few more peaks in the area. Two are of interest, Coxcomb (5.4, I think?) and Pt. 12,798, 5.4. If anyone has an interest in joining, let me know, but I was otherwise just going to do them alone.

Anyway, anyone have any info on 12,798? I've poked around and can't really find anything. I certainly don't mind winging it and seeing what I see, but on the other hand any info that would help me use my time efficiently would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
-Tom
John Paul
14ers: 41 
13ers: 223
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pt. 12,798 (5.4) Info?

Post by John Paul »

Hi Tom - You're talking about this peak -> 12798 right? Dang it's only 2' from beinging ranked. Looks like Mike Garratt's climbed it, maybe you can get ahold of him and ask. I think you can PM him from the LoJ forum...

Brian Kalet has a really nice List of 5th Class peaks in Colorado. Looks like you have climbed 66 of the 227 on his list -> Nice work!

Good luck and let us know how it goes! JP
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Yep, John Paul, that's the one. Looks like there's very little info out there on this peak, if any. Nothing online I've found, not even a comment in Ormes, at least none I could find. If I drag my lazy self up it [-o< maybe a trip report is in order? Thanks for the reply,
-Tom
John Paul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Paul »

TomPierce wrote:If I drag my lazy self up it [-o< maybe a trip report is in order?
Yes please write one up. A Tom Pierce trip report is always a treat. :-D I'm still LMAO at your trip report for Curecanti Needle. Classic stuff => "And thereby, gentle reader, was set into motion a calamity of errors..." That rap in the dark sounded like it was hellacious with a detacted bicep and one headlamp, wtf! :twisted:

A couple of 5th class side notes:
1) 9140 (5.2) - We climbed Pearson Point in May and wanted to add 9140 but things didn't work out so we didn't get it in. We want to go back and so any beta would be terrific...

2) 9300 - When we climbed Pearson Point I kept looking to the north and thinking to myself 9300 looks like it has a 5th class summit tower. When I got home and looked it up I discovered no one has listed an ascent for it, possibly because it was only recently added to the LoJ database in 2013. I also noticed it this weekend when we drove by that area on Hwy 50 and it does seem like it has a 5th class summit tower. Looks kinda like a Narwhal. I wonder if I'm looking at the right peak - did you noticed it when you climbed 9140?
John Paul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Paul »

Hi Tom - I PM'ed Mike and he says this:

"Wonder how it got that rating as no one has been there.

It has an exposed move right at the top of the summit block.
Good rock.
4th class on a good day.
5.1 or 5.2 if feeling blue or windy."

Nice an exposed move on good rock.
Let us know how it goes for you.
JP
jkirk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jkirk »

Mike either has a bad memory or enjoys causing dissonance (the rater rates and then criticizes the rating as if it came from somewhere else so as to breed skepticism). Here are Mike's emails to me (I'll forward them to you both):

7/27/2007:
12798, an 'S' summit on Courthouse Mtn Q. - This one is in the SE corner of the quad on the ridge just N of 12917. It has a 298' drop. I looked at it when I did 12917 years ago and forgot about until recently. It has been climbed by Terry Root. After doing 12917 with Terry he went north on the ridge and I went south so I missed it and never got back.
9/9/2007:
Did get up 12798 on Courthouse Mtn Q.
It the one with a 298 foot drop.
There is a 5.4-5.5 way up on the E side.
The final move at the end has max exposure.

BTW I put a 5th class unknown rating in for 9300 - the satellite imagery makes a 4th class or easier ascent seem highly unlikely.
evolve
14ers: 17 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (1)

Post by evolve »

I may be interested in joining. What exact dates are you looking at?
@cruxology
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Thanks again for the info, John. Sounds like a roped climb for sure given the exposure.

John Paul: I can certainly give beta for 9140, but now that John has added 9300 to the 5th class list, want to partner with me in doing both of them? I did 9140 as a day trip from Denver, and I suspect it's possible to do both as a long day trip. Let me know if you're interested.

evolve: If the weather looks decent, I'd be going down to camp Thurs evening, then climbing 12,798 this Friday.

-Tom
evolve
14ers: 17 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (1)

Post by evolve »

Bummer for me, I have to work Friday. :(
@cruxology
John Paul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Paul »

evolve wrote:Bummer for me, I have to work Friday. :(
I hate it when that happens...
TomPierce wrote:I can certainly give beta for 9140, but now that John has added 9300 to the 5th class list, want to partner with me in doing both of them?
Hells yes!!! When were you thinking? Fall?