Mt. Zirkel or the Rawahs?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
trektheworld
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Zirkel or the Rawahs?

Post by trektheworld »

Anyone been up near Steamboat Springs or the Rawahs and into the backcountry there? Looking at my Colorado forecast for Tues/Wed/Thurs next week, that might be the only dry spot on the map. I was wondering if any backcountry trips could be put together.
SkiTownUSA
14ers: 26  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Zirkel or the Rawahs?

Post by SkiTownUSA »

I haven't been up there recently, but I just inquired yesterday about the Zirkle Circle conditions for running and was told there is still lots of snow up there.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

The Rawahs still have a ton of snow. Check some of John Kirk's photos from 7/5 http://listsofjohn.com/recentimg
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

There is a fair amount of snow in the northern Park Range, but the couloirs should be good.

Be aware that the stream crossing enroute to Mount Zirkel could be difficult right now. The mosquitoes will be thick.

There are plenty of backpacking options in the Mount Zirkel area other than the peak itself, so even if you don't want snow you should be able to find something. The Encampment Loop, for example, should be snow free or close to it.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
PatsSox09
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by PatsSox09 »

at the risk of repeating myself, a quick copy and paste of my update last week. Got Zirkel and Clark (Rawahs), among some others. i'd imagine conditions have improved since then, though probably still plenty of snow. Note that for the major Mica Creek crossing on Zirkel if you're taking the Gilpin Lake approach...head upstream from the trail a bit and you can find a series of very good log bridges if you want to avoid having to take off your boots and cross the freezing stream barefoot.

PatsSox09 wrote:From 6/30 ascent of Clark Peak:

Mummies down through Longs Peak:

Never Summers:

Might as well add: 6/29 conditions of Park Range from Zirkel: Still Plenty of Snow

For what it's worth, plenty of snow over 10,000 ft in shaded areas in the Elkheads as well, as experienced on Sand Mountain Trail (mostly covered) and Black Mountain summit traverse. Exposed areas are fine too...East Meaden Peak was melted via standard approach