Silver Plume Mountain

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Silver Plume Mountain

Post by Brian C »

Not a trip report, but I thought a few people might find this interesting...

Silver Plume Mountain via South Slopes (5.2)
July 9, 2014

Partner: Derek Wolfe

Approach: Exit into the small town of Silver Plume, and then continue west on the frontage road. Just after 2 miles, turn right onto a small dirt road that immediately crosses I-70 via a small bridge and park at a small cul-de-sac.

Route:
From the car, work your way uphill to the north following the path of least resistance. There is a small trail that is marked on the topo, but it comes and goes and cannot be relied on to lead the way. Eventually the terrain eases and a nice romp across the tundra leads to the infamous summit boulder. Many climb this short block by standing on a log from one of the nearby mines, but the purists out there can find a nice hidden hold on the summit to make a 5.2 mantel onto the top. Enjoy the USGS marker that sits on the true summit.

Gear:
Good pair of shoes. Zero technical gear is needed.

Thoughts: This was a fun outing and an easy way to check off a 5th class summit. The initial slopes were steep and loose in places, but this made the descent a breeze. Don't worry about the summit block as cheating to the top (i.e. log ladder) is easy to do, but the climbing itself is also not bad at all. I did find the proximity to I-70 a bit of a distraction at the start, but the summit slopes provide such wonderful views of the surrounding 13ers and 14ers that it was worth it. I was thankful that Derek knew all the surrounded peaks to answer all my questions.

More photos can be found here...
http://www.brianinthewild.com/silver-pl ... ntain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
mike offerman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Silver Plume Mountain

Post by mike offerman »

Can't wait to get up there again and climb the log to the top!
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

This is not a trip report but is better than many of the trip reports that get posted. =D> Looks like fun
I'm slower than Scott P.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

This is awesome!
Make wilderness less accessible.