Conundrum Hot Springs Info (7/13/2014)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
VeloBison
Trip Reports (0)

Conundrum Hot Springs Info (7/13/2014)

Post by VeloBison »

We just had a great weekend up there and while we searched for tons of info on the trail beforehand, still ran in to a couple snags on the trail so I wanted to share some info for those heading up any time soon.

The trail is very identifiable for the first 7 miles. It's extremely easy to follow and all of the stream crossings are visible and have either built up bridges or logs that you can walk across without getting wet. The big trick occurred at mile 7, where there are a few different ways to make your final crossing of the stream. The way that we opted to take required walking through about 12 inches of water, but it was only about 10 feet across, so not too bad at all. This crossing is at the bottom of a slight hill and off to the right. It will become visible after you pass through an undulating section with a few downed logs and lots of vegetation in the water on your right side. Be very careful not to veer left on what appears to be a cut trail. This is what we did and found ourselves bushwhacking after only 10 minutes or so.

We built a small cairn where we crossed. Hopefully it remains visible for future hikers. Once you make that crossing at mile 7 the trail is very easy to follow again and brings you right up to the springs/camp sites.

Overall this is a very easy trail to follow, but the one section at mile 7 is fairly tricky. Almost everyone we talked to that hiked up got confused at this section and many other groups got completely lost. We were told that there used to be a bridge built for this final crossing but evidently it got washed away.

Total hike time was about 3.5-4 hours moving at a decent pace with no major stops.
Tommy Dorr
14ers: 55 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Conundrum Hot Springs Info (7/13/2014)

Post by Tommy Dorr »

Thanks for the update!! I had read somewhere that ATVs ride all the way to the hot springs this time of year. Did you see any evidence of that? I hope not. I've heard conflicting info.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Tommy Dorr wrote:Thanks for the update!! I had read somewhere that ATVs ride all the way to the hot springs this time of year. Did you see any evidence of that? I hope not. I've heard conflicting info.
Extremely unlikely and definitely not legal.

EDIT: thought I should add this info: the place the OP is referring, where everyone accidentally continues up the left side of the creek instead of crossing it, usually has a small, wooden sign that simply says "FORD." It's obscure though. (10/13/14)
Last edited by SoCool on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VeloBison
Trip Reports (0)

Post by VeloBison »

No signs of ATV's up there, and I can't imagine someone could really get one up there.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Tommy Dorr wrote:I had read somewhere that ATVs ride all the way to the hot springs this time of year.
As I recall, that's a wilderness area, so even bicycles are strictly forbidden.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
VeloBison
Trip Reports (0)

Post by VeloBison »

Yes, it is a Wilderness area so of course an ATV wouldn't be allowed. There's no way you could get one across the stream crossings and through the narrow parts of the trail anyway.