Four-Pass Loop Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise???

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
javy20040
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Four-Pass Loop Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise???

Post by javy20040 »

Three weeks ago I did the Four Pass Loop clockwise and I saw around 10 runners going clockwise as well. I Didn't see any hiker/backpacker or runner going counter clockwise. Just sharing what I saw!
Javier
The Mountains, my passion!
The love of the mountains is in my heart, which spreads to the blood which I bleed.
The passion of climbing is in my skin, which is shed when I sweat.
Climbing mountains isn't something that you do; it's a part of you.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

I've run the loop 5 times over the past several years, going both CW and CCW anywhere from 10.5h to 6.75h. As a runner I prefer to go CCW in general, but there are pros/cons to both directions.

CCW: Get the biggest climb (Buckskin) done early, and you get a more mellow shorter pass finish with Frigid/West Maroon. Though you have to descend the steep dusty slope from Trail Rider into Fravert.
CW: More mellow start up West Maroon/Frigid. As a runner the descent from Figid air into Fravert is beautiful, smooth and cruiser. But then you have a beast of a climb up from Fravert to Frigid Air and a steep finish going down Buckskin.

Just a few thoughts, its a beautiful loop and the flowers are phenomenal this year, so no matter which direction you go it'll be awesome.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
ColoradoEd
14ers: 55 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoEd »

We are going to back pack this clockwise walking in on Friday afternoon.
Where are we likely to find a camp below West Maroon Pass?
We don't want to hoof it too far and get shutout.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

ColoradoEd wrote:We are going to back pack this clockwise walking in on Friday afternoon.
Where are we likely to find a camp below West Maroon Pass?
We don't want to hoof it too far and get shutout.
By 'below West Maroon Pass' do you mean on the Maroon Lake side or the CB side? There are camping spots at treeline on the Maroon Lake side, but that's a ways from the Pass. Between West Maroon and Frigid Air there aren't any protected campsites, all are high above treeline and exposed, didn't see many flat benches/camping areas and the water source is right below West Maroon. There are a number of campsites once you hit treeline coming down from Frigid Air into Fravert Basin. Hope that helps.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
ColoradoEd
14ers: 55 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoEd »

Yes, on the Maroon Lake side.
My concern is that we are getting a late start and will hump it up to treeline and get shutout, requiring us to head back down to find camping.
sad2
14ers: 46 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

Thanks for all the comments. The responses are all over the place, with CW, CCW, and no difference either way. I guess I will have to try it both ways and find out for myself!
sad2
14ers: 46 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

So I did the Four-Pass Loop as a day hike on Friday 8/8.

I decided to do it clock-wise simply because the Forest Service Route Description goes in that direction. You were absolutely correct. Doing this hike in a day is more challenging/tiring than the Pikes Peak Barr Trail route, which I've hiked in around 10-11 hours.

Here are my splits for anyone interested or judging whether it is possible to do in a day. I consider myself a 7.5 out of 10 in terms of cardiovascular fitness. Even then, I cannot fathom runners completing this in 5-8 hours. Some people are truly fit!

Start at the Overnight Lot: 5:10 AM
Crater Lake: 5:50 AM
West Maroon Pass: 8:20 AM
Frigid Air Pass: 9:30 AM
Trail Rider Pass: 1:10 PM
Buckskin Pass: 4:20 PM
Crater Lake: 5:45 PM
Overnight Lot: 6:30 PM

So, a little less than 13.5 hours. I'm not sure of the elevation gain, but I suspect around 8,000 feet or so. Mileage varies - between 26 and 28.

Only 1 creek crossing required the removal of shoes. This was between Frigid Air Pass and and Trail Rider Pass.

I did not see any trail runners. But in the morning as I was descending West Maroon Pass, I saw quite a few people hiking from Crested Butte.

In short, a challenging hike with stunning scenery. The wildflowers are probably past their peak.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Nice job ! It's a beast for sure.
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

climbing_rob wrote:
jomagam wrote:
climbing_rob wrote:Having done it 5 times now, and the last time very recently, I think there are more people doing it CW than CCW; I passed more going my way, CW, than folks I passed coming the other way (CCW), and naturally you would pass way more going your opposite direction ("against the grain") if there were equal numbers.
From what I heard people tend to go CW when doing it as a multi-day hike, but mostly CCW when running it in one day. Yesterday I got passed by 7 runners going CCW, and saw only 2 going opposite to me who did not have a backpack, so they prolly did it in one go.
Well, if you have ties to the trail running community, you would know better, I finally gave up trail running a few years ago... But I still maintain that the greater total number of people go CW, so if you want to have fewer people to pass, going with the grain (CW) would be slightly better, and again, I sure cannot think of any physical-effort reasons why one is better than the other, again, having done it 5 times now (4CW, 1 CCW).

Really, probably makes very little difference.

Just as an alternative: Last weekend some friends (training for Leadville 100) did it from Geneva Lake, pretty good idea really as it totally avoids the Maroon-->Crater lake crowds. Just over 11 hours from the Lake itself, add a bit if from the Geneva Lake trailhead. I think they went CW, in this case just to get Trailrider pass out of the way right off the bat.
I would add that to do it from Lead King Basin (Geneva Lake trailhead), you need a good high clearance 4wd to get to the trailhead. There are two roads in: One through Crystal, and the other taking the left fork just above Marble. The second option used to be a much easier road, but has gotten worse every time I've taken it. The last time, about three years ago, it was just about all my Jeep Liberty (4wd with low range, but not great clearance) could handle, and I'm not sure I would do it again without a more suitable vehicle. I haven't taken the route through Crystal in recent years, so I can't really comment on conditions that way.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

sad2 wrote:I consider myself a 7.5 out of 10 in terms of cardiovascular fitness. Even then, I cannot fathom runners completing this in 5-8 hours. Some people are truly fit!
Yeah, some people have a natural advantage and no matter how fit you get you can never get there. People like Kilian Jornet don't just work out a lot, they have physiological advantages that most don't.
Last edited by randalmartin on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

randalmartin wrote: Jillian Kornet doesn't just work out a lot, he has physiological advantages that most don't.
:wft: I think that he works out a whole lot.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

I didn't know I needed a CCW permit to backpack it :lol: