class 4 routes near FTC

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

class 4 routes near FTC

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone knows of some scrambling around FTC/Boulder. :)
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: class 4 routes near FTC

Post by AlexeyD »

DoctorBreaks wrote:Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone knows of some scrambling around FTC/Boulder. :)
2nd Flatiron comes to mind, if you're looking for something close and not high-elevation. Otherwise, lots of stuff in RMNP and IPW...
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Weenie route of Greyrock.
Make wilderness less accessible.
DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

AlexeyD wrote:
DoctorBreaks wrote:Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone knows of some scrambling around FTC/Boulder. :)
2nd Flatiron comes to mind, if you're looking for something close and not high-elevation. Otherwise, lots of stuff in RMNP and IPW...
I was thinking of the second flatiron, but I heard that the Freeway is actually closer to class 5. Sorry, but what is the IPW? RMNP is a bit too far. I've been getting off at 4pm, so to make it there from work it'd be a bit late for going out. I work in E Loveland right off the highway next to the airport, so Boulder is not too bad of a drive.

Thanks! :)

Wow! Dave great suggestion on the Weenie Route! Looks like a blast. :)
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

DoctorBreaks wrote:
AlexeyD wrote:
I was thinking of the second flatiron, but I heard that the Freeway is actually closer to class 5. Sorry, but what is the IPW? RMNP is a bit too far. I've been getting off at 4pm, so to make it there from work it'd be a bit late for going out. I work in E Loveland right off the highway next to the airport, so Boulder is not too bad of a drive.
Ah, I didn't realize you're just looking for after-work scrambles. IPW=Indian Peaks Wilderness, but like Rocky that's not realistic for what you're talking about. In general, the Flatirons have a ton of 3rd and 4th class routes, in addition to the 5th class ones. I'd suggesting picking up a copy of Gerry Roach's Flatirons guidebook - he has a lot of scramble route descriptions in there. I know the Dinosaur Mountain area is really good in that regard, just be careful not to get up somewhere you'll have trouble coming back down.

I really should know more...all of those places are literally behind my house :oops:

Edited: Just occurred to me: Nebel Horn - the northeast spur of Bear Peak, looks like a pretty fun scramble. If coming up Bear Peak via the Fern Canyon trail, it's the rocky, rugged-looking outcrop on the right side of the saddle that you gain after emerging from Fern Canyon. Might be affected by seasonal closures, though.

I might want to do that one myself sometime after work...
Last edited by AlexeyD on Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

DoctorBreaks wrote:I work in E Loveland right off the highway next to the airport, so Boulder is not too bad of a drive.
Me too, Rocky Mtn Ave (should be Rocky Mtn Way!) right in front of 2 ponds.

Need to check out LoJ.

8194 has a nice summit block. I've heard the east ridge is some good sustained class 4. Lots of options at Red Feather Lakes, 8300 has a class 4 way and a class 3 way.
DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Ah, I didn't realize you're just looking for after-work scrambles. IPW=Indian Peaks Wilderness, but like Rocky that's not realistic for what you're talking about. In general, the Flatirons have a ton of 3rd and 4th class routes, in addition to the 5th class ones. I'd suggesting picking up a copy of Gerry Roach's Flatirons guidebook - he has a lot of scramble route descriptions in there. I know the Dinosaur Mountain area is really good in that regard, just be careful not to get up somewhere you'll have trouble coming back down.

I really should know more...all of those places are literally behind my house :oops:[/quote]

Ah I've definitely heard of IPW just didn't recognize the acronym lol. Oops. Good suggestion! Roach is awesome, I'll go look for the book at REI/Barnes and Noble today. :) I've read online on like summitpost and stuff about different routes in the flatirons and such, but they are often not very detailed route descriptions. :/ I look forward to Roach's book! Thanks :)

-Anatoli Boukreev

DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Me too, Rocky Mtn Ave (should be Rocky Mtn Way!) right in front of 2 ponds.

Need to check out LoJ.

8194 has a nice summit block. I've heard the east ridge is some good sustained class 4. Lots of options at Red Feather Lakes, 8300 has a class 4 way and a class 3 way.[/quote]

Nice lol I work at Hach. I went to the website, but not sure how it works?

-Anatoli Boukreev

12ersRule
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Alright, the first thing you want to do is get an account and log your peaks, then use this tool from the front page:

Member Tools -> Closest 50 Peaks By Member -> Closest 50 List

Select your name from the member list. Enter Your lat-long. Select the number of peaks you want to display, maybe set minimum prominence at 'ANY' (more chances for hits). Then, when you submit, you get a list of peaks and one of the columns returned is YDS.

Edit: WTH is "Atmospheric Hill" doing on LoJ?
DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

12ersRule wrote:Alright, the first thing you want to do is get an account and log your peaks, then use this tool from the front page:

Member Tools -> Closest 50 Peaks By Member -> Closest 50 List

Select your name from the member list. Enter Your lat-long. Select the number of peaks you want to display, maybe set minimum prominence at 'ANY' (more chances for hits). Then, when you submit, you get a list of peaks and one of the columns returned is YDS.

Edit: WTH is "Atmospheric Hill" doing on LoJ?
Dude that sounds awesome! I'll definitely get started on there. Does it have route info? Description/stats and all?
Thank you!!

-Anatoli Boukreev

12ersRule
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Nothing formal, but a lot of people put up pics of the peaks. There's a significant number of TRs too. Some of these peaks are on summitpost, so make sure to check there too.

The YDS is just for the easiest way up. Stuff like Goat Hill and Alexander Mtn have routes with some class 4 in them, so it's worth clicking on all the peaks in the area to see what's out there.
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

12ersRule wrote:Select your name from the member list. Enter Your lat-long. Select the number of peaks you want to display, maybe set minimum prominence at 'ANY' (more chances for hits). Then, when you submit, you get a list of peaks and one of the columns returned is YDS.
I never got around to asking John about including YDS in the nearest peaks list. Last time I used it, the list only returned Name, Elevation, Counties, and Distance. YDS is a nice addition if you're particularly interested in scrambling options.

I don't think LoJ includes details on route and TH info, but there are trip reports on that site, info on summitpost, even TRs here (change your search criteria to All Other Peaks and search for text like "Lost Creek", "irons", etc.). Google works too. Once you have a list of peak names, it's easier to find route and TH info.