LCW Peaks

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: LCW Peaks

Post by Hungry Jack »

So here is a question: What can I expect to find in terms of surface water in the LCW? I imagine Lost Creek has plenty. Will there be water up in McCurdy Park? (I would expect so). How about in the basin west of Bison Peak?
please rotate your device
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

I've been wanting to try hiking in the LCW but am somewhat nervous to because I typically hike alone and stick to well-established trails (no bush-whacking for me) and I have the impression that the LCW might not fit the bill. Does anyone have any recommended hikes in LCW that involve no offtrail route-finding? Perhaps Bison/McCurdy Peaks?
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Hungry Jack wrote:So here is a question: What can I expect to find in terms of surface water in the LCW? I imagine Lost Creek has plenty. Will there be water up in McCurdy Park? (I would expect so). How about in the basin west of Bison Peak?
Don't know about McCurdy park, but Indian Creek, west of bison has flowing water. all the creeks we saw last weekend were flowing well.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

climbing_rob wrote:
Hungry Jack wrote:So here is a question: What can I expect to find in terms of surface water in the LCW? I imagine Lost Creek has plenty. Will there be water up in McCurdy Park? (I would expect so). How about in the basin west of Bison Peak?
Don't know about McCurdy park, but Indian Creek, west of bison has flowing water. all the creeks we saw last weekend were flowing well.
It's been a wet 15 months or so, at least in the Front Range.
please rotate your device
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

rdp32 wrote:I've been wanting to try hiking in the LCW but am somewhat nervous to because I typically hike alone and stick to well-established trails (no bush-whacking for me) and I have the impression that the LCW might not fit the bill. Does anyone have any recommended hikes in LCW that involve no offtrail route-finding? Perhaps Bison/McCurdy Peaks?
The trails are very good, well-built and well-marked, but don't go to any of the mountaintops. Both Bison and McCurdy summits are reachable by leaving a trail above timberline and walking across tundra for maybe half a mile, followed by climbing a rockpile.

If you just want a good dayhike, the Goose Creek trail to the Shafthouse is easy to moderate difficulty, easy to follow, and gets you a good selection of the uniqueness of the area. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/psicc/re ... 4&actid=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The National Geographic/Trails Illustrated "Tarryall" map covers the area well. The Roach Lost Creek book concentrates on summits, but is useful if you want to get a feel for the layout of the area.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Well, that description for Bison/McCurdy doesn't sound too bad. I'll have to pick up a map for the area and hit one of those in a month or two
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

rdp32 wrote:Well, that description for Bison/McCurdy doesn't sound too bad. I'll have to pick up a map for the area and hit one of those in a month or two
Bison was a very well established trail. Relatively easy hike, and really incredible views. I'd definitely recommend it.
MyFeetHurt
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MyFeetHurt »

This question seems to come up a lot, now that I have been there a few times I can say with certainty that there is water in McCurdy park. There is a nice sized running creek on the north end, plus a giant swamp in the middle. I also saw a running creek in Lake Park as well. I wouldnt worry about water in those areas.
climbing_rob
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

rdp32 wrote:Well, that description for Bison/McCurdy doesn't sound too bad. I'll have to pick up a map for the area and hit one of those in a month or two
There are not trails to the very summit of either Bison or McCurdy, but within about a half mile. the key, I think already mentioned, is Roach's book that covers the routes well. If you climb McCurdy, let us know if you find the right summit the first time! (lots of folks don't...).
Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I've been up there twice, and I'm still not sure I've been to the real summit. Next time I'm bringing my hand level.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
climbing_rob
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Jim Davies wrote:I've been up there twice, and I'm still not sure I've been to the real summit. Next time I'm bringing my hand level.
For a long time there was a stick-cairn right on top. The summit to the east look taller until you climb it and look over to the true summit.

Another confusing one is Lake Park peak.... I swear to doG that the summit w/o the register (to the NE) is taller, but never have been sure. Just climb both and it doesn't matter!
Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

OK, I remember the stick. Whew. I actually went all the way over to the east-side rockpiles first (maybe a quarter mile away?), but thought one of the west ones looked higher. I guess I was right!