LCW Peaks

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

LCW Peaks

Post by awake »

I finally got around to climbing Bison Peak, and really enjoyed it. I'd like to explore more of the area.

Are there any of the other Lost Creek Wilderness peaks that anybody has particularly enjoyed? How do they compare to Bison as far as difficulty, trail quality, etc?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: LCW Peaks

Post by Jim Davies »

Look for trip reports by Derek. Also, get the Roach's book, which covers all the summits in the LCW. Most of the peaks in the wilderness require a lot of bushwacking to reach, although the trail system is quite good.

McCurdy has an interesting summit plateau, in that it's huge and covered with scattered rock formations, and it's hard to identify the highest one just by looking at them. Trail access is comparable to Bison, just longer.

The X, Y, Z peaks are rocky summits sitting on broad tundra bases. Hiking all of them makes for a nice long day of walking above the trees. Very isolated feel, but you can use the Colorado Trail to return back to your starting point.

The Twin Cones are less isolated and less rugged. Basically just a long walk on dirt roads most of the day.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
awake
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

Great, thanks.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Yeah, as Jim says, get Roach's book and have fun!!! Hard to pick, either Bison or McCurdy are our all-time favorite LCW peaks, probably done them a dozen times each, but there is so much more in there... we just returned from a little 40-mile loop this weekend, enjoying the entire place.

One fun thing to do if you like a physical challenge is what Ddog and I dubbed many years ago the "11sie-twelver" hike; all 11 12ers in the LCW in one swell foop. 39 miles, 19 hours. Sharon and myself have since done it as a single overnighter as well. Requires a car shuttle, holler for details.

One little gem: point 11,180. Very near bison, but harder to reach and has one very short, not-exposed 5th-class (or high 4th) move near the summit. Another gem: "Catamount". both of these last two mentioned peaks are rarely climbed, but so worth it. THEN, there are the "Twin Eagles". Wow. check out Kane's page on summitpost for some incredible photos.

Some more favorites: Lake Park Peak, Tarryall Peak (not North Tarryall, very blah), X/Y/Z/Zephyr combination (already mentioned). So much to do in there! Ever hear of Harmonica Arch? Dare you try to find it?

One thought: The LCW is fantastic, but is particularly special in the spring and fall; it can get hot and dry in the summer (even though we just returned from there in August!).
awake
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

Great, thanks Rob. Don't think I'd have the stamina for the "11sie-12er" hike, although that does sound like a blast. I will definitely look into the rest.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Jim Davies and Climbing Rob noted some good ones, I'll just add a couple notes-

Roachs book for this area is fantastic...but even though it is called "LCW", it actually doesn't cover all the LCW summits. (Not to mention a lot of the summits that it does cover aren't in the LCW, but outside in the wider surrounding of the "Retirement Range".) No knock on it at all, still my favorite guidebook ever, just clarifying because there are some LCW summits not in the book that are pretty great too.

1- Unnamed 10,926 and 11,230 from Lost Park TH. Definitely a notch up in difficulty from Bison (class 3-4 by easiest route) but lost of fun. Minimal bushwhacking too, which it a bit of a rarity among the lesser known LCW peaks.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13019

2- McCurdy Mt - As they mentioned, if you liked Bison you'd probably like McCurdy. Multiple "summit" areas to check out up there too. Mileage and elevation a bit more than Bison if I recall, but still straightforward. Roachs book has good route description.

3- Harmonica ArchNot a summit, but like rob noted is nice with some funky rocks, and in the same trip you can head to the Lost Creek from the shafthouse for some additional "rock amazement." I wouldn't follow the entire creek like we did in this TR unless you're a sucker for punishment, but a down and up from the shafthouse would be a nice trip.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12094

4- Pt 10620 - Fun summit area, and some other rock formations across the trail (Wigwam Tower) to explore.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13068

5- The Castle - Again, not sure of the level you are looking for, but Castle was fun (to climb AND to look at) if you have technical (class 5) skills.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13497
awake
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

Awesome, many thanks, Derek.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

I 2nd The Castle, very nice climb! I know it's not in the LCW, but Raleigh Peak has a nice little finish and so does Cathedral Spires/Banner Peak in the Platte Valley. These 2 are great warm-ups for the LCW! Another little gem is Pt 7774 near Long Scraggy, might as well do both while you're at it!
Ragin Cajun
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

Adding a plug for the North Ben Tyler trail. This is about 4-5 miles west of Bailey and the trailhead is directly adjacent to 285 and accessible year round. I like this because of its close proximity to Denver, 3,000+ feet of gain, availability of water at several points along the trail, and multiple summit options including North and South Twin Cone, Blaine, Foster Benchmark, Kenosha, Platte, Shawnee.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
awake
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

Great, thanks. I now have no shortage of peaks to climb!
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Payne & No Payne and Lost Platte Peak from the Brookside-Payne TH, just outside of Bailey, maybe 3 miles down Park Co 64 from the convenience store. Get access to Kenosha Mtns across Craig Park too! Like Thomas said, you get lots of elevation on these trails, like doing a big peak, but never leaving the forest! Close to home so you can get out, get it done, without a big trip involved.
Ragin Cajun
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Is the section of Lost Creek that turns away from the Wigwam trail and drops into the basin northwest of McCurdy Mtn and through Refrigerator Gulch impassable? How nasty of a bushwhack is it?
please rotate your device