Zirkels conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
trektheworld
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Zirkels conditions

Post by trektheworld »

anyone have any updates to this area? - looking to head out for a 9/20 weekend backpack.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Zirkels conditions

Post by Scott P »

I haven't climbed there in a few weeks, but I see those mountains on a daily basis (at least when they aren't cloud covered).

From what I could see, there was a dusting of snow, but it should be gone soon. It has been raining a lot lately, so be careful with road conditions to the more obscure trailheads. Where you headed there?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
trektheworld
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trektheworld »

probably the infamous "Zirkel Circle" with an attempt to summit Mt. Zirkel
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

You should be good to go. It's been dry lately, but there may be a little precip Friday.
SkiTownUSA
14ers: 26  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiTownUSA »

It's dry, aspens are starting to turn, you should have a great hike.
trektheworld
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trektheworld »

SkiTownUSA wrote:It's dry, aspens are starting to turn, you should have a great hike.
Excellent. This area up near Gilpin lake seemed to be one of the best backcountry spots around from the little that I looked into it. For those of you living in the area - any other backcountry must-sees around the Park Range?
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

For those of you living in the area - any other backcountry must-sees around the Park Range?
The Sawtooth Range (actually just an area within the park range) is one of the most scenic mountain areas in Colorado.

(Jack Brauer photos)

The Dome is one of the most interesting mountains. Dome Lake is really nice. The Continental Divide Trail between Buffalo Pass and the trailheads around Slovenia is a good one.
trektheworld
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trektheworld »

What is that gorgeous tarn/lake in that photo you posted? According to my map, the sawtooth range is basically just those peaks around Big Agnes Mtn. right?
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

What is that gorgeous tarn/lake in that photo you posted?
I believe it's Lake 9890 on the north side of the range. The timberline in the area is much lower than much of Colorado, so the peaks/lakes have a more alpine feel than similar elevation peaks in other parts of Colorado.
According to my map, the sawtooth range is basically just those peaks around Big Agnes Mtn. right?
Yes; it's the ridge between Little Agnes Mountain and Peak 11811 (a.k.a. The Castle).