climbing near Grand Junction, 1st week Dec

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

climbing near Grand Junction, 1st week Dec

Post by pvnisher »

I'll be out in Grand Junction the first week of Dec, and will have one day to do something.
I'd like to do something alpiney or ice-climbing related, however, I have some pretty serious constraints due to the method of travel, time, and partner.

Constraints:
-will have very minimal gear as I'm flying in (no axes/crampons/rope/harness)
-will either be solo or with a partner who is enthusiastic but very inexperienced
-will only have a single day (including driving/climbing)

I'm open to taking a class with my partner if that's the only way to get some time in (renting gear).

Is there anything possible to do with those constraints? If not alpine-y, what else would you recommend that time of year with those limitations around GJ?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: climbing near Grand Junction, 1st week Dec

Post by Scott P »

Is there anything possible to do with those constraints? If not alpine-y, what else would you recommend that time of year with those limitations around GJ?
There ice climbs right around Grand Junction, but the 1st weekend of December is a little early. No Thoroughfare Canyon is an ice climb right near the outskirts of town, but it usually doesn't have good ice until late December (and if it's a dry winter, sometimes later).

The nearest alpine type climb would be the Crag Crest, but it's just a moderate snow climb (but has a cool knife-like summit ridge).

If you are short on time, you may want to stick to rock. The Grand Junction area is full of rock towers and the climbing is good:

I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
tharlow
14ers: 23 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tharlow »

If you are in junction with limited time, give Kris a call at 970-245-8513 she is a climbing guide who would be able to hook you up with the best routes in the area and maximize your time there.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

It's worth noting that if ice is really what you're looking for, Ouray is not a bad drive (less than 2 hours on a good road).
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Excellent crack climbing (and no crowds other than Otto's Route, perhaps) in CO National Monument, if that's your sort of thing
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Regarding Ouray Ice Park, is it open? I've never been there (but want to!), but the website said they generally open mid-Dec. I don't know how regulated it is. Is there an official opening or is it just "if there's ice, you can go get it"?
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

pvnisher wrote: Regarding Ouray Ice Park, is it open? I've never been there (but want to!), but the website said they generally open mid-Dec. I don't know how regulated it is. Is there an official opening or is it just "if there's ice, you can go get it"?
I doubt they would be open by first week of December, unless we have a significant cold snap at the end of November. Official opening and I wouldn't go beforehand unless you're with an ice farmer.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

A few of us just went to Ouray Ice park presentation last week, and the presenter implied they hope to open by late December this year.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Is there an official opening or is it just "if there's ice, you can go get it"?
It depends on if you are talking about the mostly man made ice park or the naturally occurring ice climbs in the area. There are many ice climbs in the Ouray area and outside the ice park there are no opening dates or any "officialdom". I haven't done them other than the ice park, but have done some of them as canyoning routes.

Early December may be too early for ice climbing though. Even if they are in condition outside the ice park (which will not be open), you have to hit them in good low avalanche conditions. Many of backcountry ice climbs are in avalanche chutes where the avalanche danger can be high.

If you want to stay close to Grand Junction though, and only have a day at hand, I'd seriously recommend the desert. Places like Colorado National Monument, Rattlesnake Canyon, McInnis Canyons, and the Black Ridge. The nearest you will be to something alpine is the Crag Crest, and it is a nice winter conditions climb (but not very technical), but the desert is really nice.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.