Ice climbing conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rpb13
14ers: 57  2  2 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Ice climbing conditions

Post by rpb13 »

Oh no! My innocent little post, an attempt to be friendly and provide info that I might have been interested in (as a mere mortal and not a climbing God), has turned into something else! I am being entertained though...
shearmodulus
14ers: 18  1  1 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by shearmodulus »

Mike Shepherd wrote:Reading MP it seems there are plenty of lines which see hardly any traffic mainly because nobody wants to walk forever to get to them or there is some sort of avalanche risk. Eagle lake in RMNP comes to mind in this regard. I don't believe on these boards a bunch of people are going to go pick your lines to death if you let some beta go. The general consensus I get on here is that people are not interested in ice climbing anyways.
If you walk more than 10 minutes from your car, it's a "heinous approach." Don't worry. There's tons of ice in the area still to be discovered. I found two flows on Crestone that were unheard of as well as one on Pike's Peak that you'd think is picked over, but seems to be untouched or even unheard of.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."
hatchmaster
14ers: 19 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by hatchmaster »

Anyone been into Glacier Gorge recently? Wanted to take the tools for a walk on Friday and scout the approach for Black Lake and The Overflow (never been to either).

Enough snow to skin the trail? I need to get some time in on the skis before I try going uphill (and down).
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

hatchmaster wrote:Enough snow to skin the trail? I need to get some time in on the skis before I try going uphill (and down).
Went up past the loch the other day so no info on Overflow (doubt it's in yet) but there is definitely not enough snow to skin. In fact most of the trail (except the cuttoff portion) was almost pure ice. Carry microspikes in addition to your pons, they will be worth it.
Make wilderness less accessible.
B-Dog
14ers: 44  8 
13ers: 18 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by B-Dog »

haha a beta thread with nearly zero beta. You people sure do love bickering and spewing useless dribble. Most of the posts on this forum:

BTW, here's Lincoln from Sunday (11/9).
Attachments
20141109_084003 (1).jpg
20141109_084003 (1).jpg (336.41 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

B-Dog wrote:You people sure do love bickering and spewing useless dribble.
Thanks for the Lincoln pic BTW...
Attachments
youpeople.jpg
youpeople.jpg (69.97 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

some good climbing to be had in the mount evans area
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Heh...with the weather we're having, stuff in Clear Creek might be in soon...
GK83
14ers: 9 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GK83 »

^^ Pretty sure that's not anywhere near evans... And not this year..
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

You're right - THIS is what mixed climbing looks like, at Mount Evans, this time of year,
DanGambinoPhoto.jpg
DanGambinoPhoto.jpg (121.09 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
shearmodulus
14ers: 18  1  1 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by shearmodulus »

Hully Gully is in!

I've got work through Sunday. I'll check it out as well as Silver Cascade Falls to see how they're forming since there's no farming allowed this year....
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

From what I saw from a friend's pic of Hully, from the base of P2, it's starting to come into climbing shape, but I wouldn't say it's fully in just yet.
Silver Cascade looks thin. But no more farming up there? What's up with that?