Wellsville Arch- Salida area

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tomcat32
14ers: 21  4 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (43)

Wellsville Arch- Salida area

Post by tomcat32 »

I see this arch high above the Arkansas along US 50 on my commute back and forth from Howard to Salida and wanted to check it out. Interesting feature for the Salida area and great views from the arch itself especially of the southern Sawatch and northern Sangres. Here is the report for my quick getaway close to home and lots of interesting pics.
http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2014 ... se-to.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Wellsville Arch- Salida area

Post by Jim Davies »

Before I read your piece I thought you were talking about this: http://cozine.com/2013-december/the-box-canyon-mine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The mountain on your left as you drive west on US 50 there has this hole in the top, and sometimes I used to think I could see light through it (although it now has a gate across the opening).
Last edited by Jim Davies on Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Jim, I've seen that hole in that mountain on the way to Salida over the last several years...but didn't know for sure until now that it is indeed a mine. That Wellsville Arch looks like a neat thing to see up close
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
tomcat32
Trip Reports (43)

Post by tomcat32 »

The mine you refer to is pretty close to the arch on the opposite side of the river. I'll have to check out that article because I was curious about the mine opening as well.
tomcat32
Trip Reports (43)

Post by tomcat32 »

Just upstream from the Wellsville Bridge across the river there is a brick structure that looks like it may be a kiln similar to the one in the magazine article link. When you see that next to the railroad tracks, the arch is basically straight above that on the top of that ridge. It's easier to spot coming from Salida however. When you are on 50 and cross the Fremont Co line, you can see the arch almost straight ahead on the north side of the canyon.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

I've been wanting to explore this area for quite a while, but I had no idea there was an arch up there. Maybe this will motivate me to finally do it. Thanks for posting!
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
Svenski Norski
14ers: 30  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Svenski Norski »

There is a much easier and safer way to the arch than going straight up! Cross the bridge and head east along the river, turn left up a dirt road to get behind the calcite plant. Park. Walk up the steep road toward, then under the powerline. You will enter a canyon that is behind the arch. There is a steep road left that leads up to the road that passes under the arch face, and a path up the backside along the way. Don't go alone at dusk/dawn, cougar country. Very worthwhile. I found the route by looking at the map first.
tomcat32
Trip Reports (43)

Post by tomcat32 »

Once I was up there I realized the obvious road route. I couldn't find the arch on a Nat Geo, Latitude 40, or Delorme map to place the road however so close to the arch.
Svenski Norski
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Svenski Norski »

It was the "Salida-Buena Vista Trails/Recreation Map" by latitude40 out of Boulder.
Last edited by Svenski Norski on Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Svenski Norski
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Svenski Norski »

Oh- just saw that you had that one, sorry. They showed the jeep trails as little black lines, kinda hard to notice at first. Happy Trails-