Stunning video of Engineer Mountain (12,968') near Durango

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Stunning video of Engineer Mountain (12,968') near Duran

Post by SoCool »

We all know 12'ERS RULE!
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

SoCool wrote:We all know 12'ERS RULE!
Couldn't have said it better!
altidude
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by altidude »

Definitely a favorite peak of mine. Engineer has a little bit of everything, it's pretty short, and hasn't become boring even after 8 summits. :)
Cool video!
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

I'm happy the first drone video footage of a mountain that I saw was of Engineer Mountain.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

cheeseburglar wrote:I'm happy the first drone video footage of a mountain that I saw was of Engineer Mountain.
Here's the second.... or hmm is it a helicopter that filmed this?

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/we ... adly-bells" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Yikes, their (Smithsonian) video on Mt. Elbert states that it's on the Continental Divide. Whoops.
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

Finally got a chance to watch this. Excellent video!!! I drive by this mountain all the time on my way up to Silverton and never gave it much thought. But now I might just have to make a stop! Thanks for sharing!
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Some of those shots were pretty far away, wonder what the range is?

I have mixed feelings about drones. It'd be cool to own and use one, I can see why they will become popular soon. But potentially annoying if it's someone else using one. A double standard I realize. Then there's the privacy / spying issue.

Walked by someone using one last September; it was pretty loud, even from a few hundred feet away.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Steve Knapp
14ers: 57 
13ers: 395
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Steve Knapp »

Wish I lived in CO wrote:Some of those shots were pretty far away, wonder what the range is?

I have mixed feelings about drones. It'd be cool to own and use one, I can see why they will become popular soon. But potentially annoying if it's someone else using one. A double standard I realize. Then there's the privacy / spying issue.

Walked by someone using one last September; it was pretty loud, even from a few hundred feet away.
Looks like that is the DJI Phantom 2. Range is probably 1000 vertical feet and up to a half mile horizontally. If it goes out of range it is programmed to return to the operator. Flight time max only 25 minutes, and since the mountain can't be climbed that fast these guys probably had to carry it and do several flights for that video. Pretty cool toy for about $1,000 plus whatever camera you add to it. It would be fun to fly one.

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2