Browns Canyon National Monument Meeting 12/6

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Browns Canyon National Monument Meeting 12/6

Post by rijaca »

talamo71 wrote:I see no need for yet another national monument by yet another egotistical president wanting to establish a legacy. If Colorado wants another park,
the state's residents should pay for it entirely.
The level of ignorance displayed by this post is almost overwhelming.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

SkaredShtles wrote:IMBA would like mt bikers to participate and encourage language that *clearly* separates bicycles from motorized vehicles. Bicycles need to be allowed in any newly designated area.

https://www.imba.com/alert/mountain-bik ... wns-canyon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Restricted recreational access, partly hiking with your dog (on leash or very well trained) would be my main reluctance to see Brown's Canyon as a Monument or National Park, as well as potentially restricting bike access. Just the designation as a Monument or National Park doesn't necessarily exclude dogs off trail, as in Shenandoah NP but seems that in most cases animals off trail, except for horses, are prohibited. I would prefer it protected as wilderness, state park or some other designation that allows more recreational uses.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

rijaca wrote:
talamo71 wrote:I see no need for yet another national monument by yet another egotistical president wanting to establish a legacy. If Colorado wants another park,
The level of ignorance displayed by this post is almost overwhelming.
Not to mention the irony, since it comes from someone out of state on a site primarily dedicated to outdoor recreation on federal lands in this one. <inflammatory> I guess we could take that proposal to get all the federal land in CO turned over to the state, then start charging out of state visitors exorbitant amounts to access it to address sentiments like this one. </inflammatory> I wonder if they have any idea how much state money (or money from in state) actually already goes toward developing and maintaining recreational facilities and lands they come here to see.
HuskyRunner wrote:Just the designation as a Monument or National Park doesn't necessarily exclude dogs off trail, as in Shenandoah NP but seems that in most cases animals off trail, except for horses, are prohibited. I would prefer it protected as wilderness, state park or some other designation that allows more recreational uses.
You are correct, dog/pet access is ultimately decided by the individual park/monument managers. However the wilderness designation would automatically eliminate bikes. https://www.imba.com/resources/land-pro ... s-and-imba Apparently it's already a wilderness study area. http://brownscanyon.org/ It does appear to all be either USFS or BLM land http://krcc.org/post/browns-canyon-subj ... a-proposal
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Restricted recreational access, partly hiking with your dog (on leash or very well trained) would be my main reluctance to see Brown's Canyon as a Monument or National Park, as well as potentially restricting bike access.
It probably wouldn't restrict much in that regard. All of these newer national monuments designated since the 1990's are much more lax than the National Parks or older monuments, partially because they stay within jurisdiction of the current managing agencies. For example, Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument is still managed by the BLM. Dog restrictions aren't really that many:

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/grand_st ... gsenm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the whole 2938 square mile monument for example, there is one hike you can't take a dog on and one short hike you have to have them leashed. All the rest of the monument has no dog restrictions. Other than in the parts that were designated wilderness, mountain bikes aren't restricted either.

Thus far, the new monuments are actually much less restrictive than wilderness areas when it comes to dogs and mountain bikes.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

DaveLanders wrote:
Actually this is probably all Federal land already. If a National Monument is declared, then the land
would be managed by the Park Service instead of whatever agency is managing it now. National Monument and National Park designations usually help
increase tourism.
this wasn't true for Grand Staircase Escalante NM, it's still managed by the BLM, not the Park Service...
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

mountaingoat-G wrote:
DaveLanders wrote:
Actually this is probably all Federal land already. If a National Monument is declared, then the land
would be managed by the Park Service instead of whatever agency is managing it now. National Monument and National Park designations usually help
increase tourism.
this wasn't true for Grand Staircase Escalante NM, it's still managed by the BLM, not the Park Service...
The proposed area is about 50/50 between USDA and BLM, so its all already federally owned and managed. I tried to post the map here but its too big and I am to lazy to resize it, but you can see it here.

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... ption1.jpg

The most recent national monument to be added was the Organ Mountains in NM, which are amazing by the way. I was blown away when we went down there back in the spring. But anyway, the Organ Mountains NM is managed by the BLM still. So I would assume that this monument would operate similarly. I can't see much changing as far as what type of usage is allowed either in Browns Canyon if this passes.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

looks like it only land east of the river. I think the river itself is managed by State of Colorado Parks Department. I've done brown's canyon a few times and know that the State is the one who you buy day passes from. I also met a river ranger this summer just upstream from Hecla Junction and he worked for the State.