Rolling hiking terrain close to Denver

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
coclimbguy79
14ers: 44  3 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (0)

Rolling hiking terrain close to Denver

Post by coclimbguy79 »

My workout program requires rolling terrain (up and down) for one of the weekly workouts. So far, I've been able to find that in Boulder and I'll try the trails at Red Rocks his weekend. Ideally, I'd like something that would take maybe 3 hours to complete between hiking/jogging without getting the heart rate too high and not too much sustained uphill.

Let me know if you have any other recommendations. Thanks
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Rolling hiking terrain close to Denver

Post by zoomie83 »

Have you tried an out and back on the Mesa Trail? IIRC its 12-13 miles with not much sustained uphill.
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

+1 on the Mesa Trail. It's an excellent rolling terrain interval workout.

I tracked this hike with my GPS in October and it's 7 miles from Chautauqua parking lot to the Mesa Trail parking lot (14 miles RT). There's roughly 1,800ft of aggregate climbing (summing the up's) when traveling in the South direction. I have not tracked the trail going north however Chautauqua is higher than the the Mesa TH so given the fairly equal "bumpiness" in each direction heading north most likely is equal to or greater than heading south elevation climbing wise.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

My favorite "close to denver" hike/run is starting at Mathew Winters Open space. Running up the slide trail (and doing "laps" counterclockwise with the red rocks trail depending on the time/distance I am going for) and descending down into the red rocks park via the red rocks trail. Eventually, the trail runs into CO93 where I cross the road and the trail turns into the Dakota Ridge trail. Follow this all the way up to the dino ridge road, then continue along the ridge to the dino summit. The Dakota trail ends right back at the Mathew Winters TH. Doing this loop with one Morrison Slide lap is around 2K elevation and 8 or so miles. Nothing all that sustained in terms of ascent.

Approximate map and profile:

coclimbguy79
Trip Reports (0)

Post by coclimbguy79 »

Thanks.

I have done the mesa trail before, but was hoping for something a little closer to Denver since I won't be able to get up to Boulder on weekdays.
kircher
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kircher »

In the Golden area South and North Table mtns. offer good 'rolling' terrain. The climb to the top of either is rather small (less than 1K).

Other good 'rolling' options around the area are Bear Creek Lake Park, Hildebrand Ranch (Jeffco Park) & Cherry Creek State Park.
Chico_P
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chico_P »

The green mountain loop is a good close hike. Probably not as far as you wish.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

In Jefferson County, check out Mount Falcon, Alderfer/Three Sisters and Elk Meadow/Bergen Peak. The last two may have a bit too much snow this time of year. Meyer Ranch has some worthwhile loops and a 9000-plus foot summit (Class 2, off-trail), again will probably have snow.

Further south are Chatfield and Roxborough State Parks, which naturally charge admission.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
coclimbguy79
Trip Reports (0)

Post by coclimbguy79 »

I was thinking Castlewood Canyon, too. I'll try table mountain for sure. And three sisters is probably good because of the snow.

Thanks everyone!
cpb145
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cpb145 »

Lair O' the Bear Jeffco park has about the most gentle rolling terrain of any of the Jeffco parks I've explored. A hair further from Denver than most of the rest, but may still fit the bill...
-Chris