Winter Routes In/Near Summit County

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Winter Routes In/Near Summit County

Post by highplaces »

Hi, I’m looking for winter routes with low-to-no avalanche danger in and around Summit County. A summit would be a plus, but not necessary. Getting up high above treeline for some views is always a big plus. So far in my research I’ve come up with

North Star: East Ridge standard summer route, but staying a bit higher for the first 1.5 miles to avoid the avy concern on the south slope there.

Eccles Pass via Meadow Creek: This is a beauty spot that I’d love to get to in winter. Does anyone know/have experience if it’s safe to go up the south side of Eccles Pass? On the map with CalTopo angle, it looks like the summer route goes below some iffy slopes. It seems like if you can get to the pass, then it would be a safe ridgewalk over to both Demming and Eccles.

Hoosier Ridge: With the option to add on the two Reds.

Mayflower Gulch to Drift Peak: In looking at the map with CalTopo angle, it looks sketchy getting up on the ridge just south of Boston Mine.

Ptarmigan Peak: Summer route looks like it would be good. Lots of below treeline trenchmaking opportunities I’m guessing.

Would love to hear of other suggestion and any feedback on these. Thanks!
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Winter Routes In/Near Summit County

Post by davebobk47 »

Just an FYI on two of the routes:

Mayflower to Drift - there is typically a very large cornice where the trail hits the Gold Hill/Drift saddle. You'd have to bypass it to one side or the other.

Eccles to Deming - I'm thinking you could find a reasonable route to the top of the pass however maps don't do the ridge between the pass and Deming justice. There are some unavoidable rock outcroppings that would force you off the ridge lower onto the slope. From the pass up to Eccles wouldn't be an issue.

Safety-wise Hoosier is a good choice but be prepared for a very long day in the wind, as awilbur77 stated Herman Gulch is also a good choice.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

awilbur77: Thanks for the suggestions. On Woods/Parnassus, it looks like the route takes you right through some slideable terrain in the first mile out of the Herman Gulch parking. Maybe it’s less of a concern given that the route is in trees at that point? For Pettingell, are you talking about the south slopes route? I’m guessing not. From the map, it looks like you could gain the ridge before Herman Lake (as if you were going to Hassell) and then follow the ridge west to Pettingell.

davebobk47: Thanks for the tips. Yes, good point on Deming. Now that I think back to a summer hike up there a few years ago, I know exactly what you’re talking about.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Pettingell does not have an avy safe route.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

rijaca wrote:Pettingell does not have an avy safe route.

If you go via the east ridge it could be OK. The standard south slopes route is probably a no go for sure since there is may be no safe way to get up and out of the basin right now. But if you cut N/NE from the creek before getting into the basin the slopes are fairly mellow and below 30 degrees. You would want to keep an eye on the slopes up to your left while doing this though, and probably give them a wide berth. Once you gain the ridge its class 3 mayyyybe class 4 but its not too bad with snow on it.

We did it a last year around November sometime (pretty soon right after a good dumping of snow), but there is likely a bit more snow at the moment. We were also able to head up a short gully to the ridge from the lake since it wasn't really loaded up yet. But I remember we said that we wouldn't want to do that if there had been much more snow. I would imagine you would have to down climb the ridge this time of year as well instead of dropping into the basin as we were able to do that day.

In short, its like any climb this time of year. It will be condition dependent obviously, so don't take any of this as gospel.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
Rainier_Wolfcastle
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 260 10
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Rainier_Wolfcastle »

I've been up Drift and North Star in fairly deep snow and both ridges were significantly corniced, Drift being worse (first one was on the saddle with Gold, then going both ways higher up Drift's ridge). I still summited, but they gave me pause and made me go slow and trench down to rock in places to maintain a "safe" line. The Herman Gulch => Parnassus "summer" route scared me enough to make me turn around the one time I tried it in deep snow.

I could imagine Hoosier Ridge to be the safest of the bunch, but every time I try it the wind once above 12k is ridiculous!
Shawn