Where to snowshoe?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Brendan Magee
Trip Reports (0)

Where to snowshoe?

Post by Brendan Magee »

I am not to familiar with snowshoeing trails, but I am looking for a location/trail to snowshoe this weekend. Ideally proximity to Denver is preferred as I do not want to drive more than 1.5 hours. Also, I am looking for a trail that is not to difficult as I will be going with my wife and also allows dogs. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
hokiehead
14ers: 49  2  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Where to snowshoe?

Post by hokiehead »

Brendan Magee wrote:I am not to familiar with snowshoeing trails, but I am looking for a location/trail to snowshoe this weekend. Ideally proximity to Denver is preferred as I do not want to drive more than 1.5 hours. Also, I am looking for a trail that is not to difficult as I will be going with my wife and also allows dogs. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
wife and I (recent transplants from the SE) are in a similar situation. we got this book, which has great info on beginner trails and avy risk.

our favorite places so far are Echo Lake by Mt Evans, the Bear Lake trails at RMNP, also in RMNP snowshoeing on Trail Ridge Road past the closure is a good one for starters (no avy risk, can't get lost) and St. Mary's glacier (this has avy risk past a certain point and required hiking in on microspikes before shoeing up).
Insta: hokiehead
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

A decent starting trail is Brainard Lake in the hills behind Boulder. There is a large parking lot at the entrance gate. Fills up by 8AM.
Then are several wooded trails to the lake, one reserved for skiers and one for showshoes.
The road itself is a third and easiest trail, but it often has bare spots.

Once you leave the woods at the lake itself after 2 miles, it can be very windy with sub-zero wind chills. Bring warm stuff.
Many people turn around there. But you can snowshoe a lot further. The next increment is to circle Brainard Lake.
Then you can go on to Long Lake and Lake Isabel. You start climbing then. There is a lot more stuff in the Indian Peak Wilderness behind that. However its more serious uphill with potential avalanche slopes.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

East Portal / Moffat Tunnel is a lot of fun and fits your criteria. You can either head into the woods (where the trails have more traffic, but not a ton) or just head up the Moffat Road, which begins about a quarter mile east of the East Portal parking area. I love taking my dogs up to the road because there's less traffic, little avy danger and some nice views in the first 20 minutes of snowshoeing.

http://rootsrated.com/boulder-co/snowsh ... nowshoeing

Brainard Lake is nice too -- there's a "secret" warming hut near the lake that is open on the weekends!

Here's an article, there's a nice map at the bottom - http://rootsrated.com/boulder-co/snowsh ... nowshoeing
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
StacyR
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by StacyR »

One of my all-time favorites is Jones Pass, starting from the Henderson Mine. To get there, take Hwy 40 just past Berthoud Falls, and you'll see a sign for the Henderson Mine and Jones Pass. Snowmobiles are allowed, but the beauty surpasses the annoyance. Or, you can take the split in the trail to Butler Gulch, where snowmobiles are not allowed. Both of these trails get you above tree line where the views are spectacular!
swashbuckler
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by swashbuckler »

Are there any trails located closer to Lyons?

And is there enough snow up there to have fun snowshoeing?

Thanks
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

StacyR wrote:One of my all-time favorites is Jones Pass, starting from the Henderson Mine. To get there, take Hwy 40 just past Berthoud Falls, and you'll see a sign for the Henderson Mine and Jones Pass. Snowmobiles are allowed, but the beauty surpasses the annoyance. Or, you can take the split in the trail to Butler Gulch, where snowmobiles are not allowed. Both of these trails get you above tree line where the views are spectacular!
Be careful at Jones Pass and Bulter Gulch, there is avalanche danger there.

http://www.avalanche.org/data.php?date= ... ort=&id=64" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

swashbuckler wrote:Are there any trails located closer to Lyons?

And is there enough snow up there to have fun snowshoeing?

Thanks

Plenty of places close to Lyons:

Check out the Rock Creek ski road immediately south of Allenspark - there was plenty of snow for 'shoeing or skiing as of a couple weekends ago.

Also any/all of Wild Basin a little further up the road past Allenspark....enough for a couple lifetimes in there.

Another area is the Peaceful Valley/Middle St Vrain area - up Hwy 7 then south on Peak-to-Peak.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Brainard Lake is next to Ward, up the hill from Lyon.