Western Slope Peaks

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Western Slope Peaks

Post by myfeetrock »

I live in New Castle but haven't done much local. If you want elevation gain you can hike Storm King's west ridge. I've done it a few times shed hunting. If 2000 ft. is all you're looking for and don't mind distance then you can hike the Hogback from South Canyon to New Castle. Another long hike would be the Hogback from Harvey Gap to New Castle. That's all I have. There's the Colorow trail, but it's not quite a 1000 ft of gain. Nothing fancy local but there you go.
Attachments
storm king west ridge - Copy.jpg
storm king west ridge - Copy.jpg (285.43 KiB) Viewed 414 times
workmanflock
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

myfeetrock wrote:I live in New Castle but haven't done much local. If you want elevation gain you can hike Storm King's west ridge. I've done it a few times shed hunting. If 2000 ft. is all you're looking for and don't mind distance then you can hike the Hogback from South Canyon to New Castle. Another long hike would be the Hogback from Harvey Gap to New Castle. That's all I have. There's the Colorow trail, but it's not quite a 1000 ft of gain. Nothing fancy local but there you go.
Where's the access point for storm king? What's shed hunting?
myfeetrock
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

workmanflock wrote:
myfeetrock wrote:I live in New Castle but haven't done much local. If you want elevation gain you can hike Storm King's west ridge. I've done it a few times shed hunting. If 2000 ft. is all you're looking for and don't mind distance then you can hike the Hogback from South Canyon to New Castle. Another long hike would be the Hogback from Harvey Gap to New Castle. That's all I have. There's the Colorow trail, but it's not quite a 1000 ft of gain. Nothing fancy local but there you go.
Going west take the 109 exit ( Canyon Creek ) then turn right ( east ) on to 6&24. Continue till the road dead ends to a parking lot. This is the trailhead for the Storm King Memorial Trail. Instead of going across the canyon to the Memorial, you hang a left on a faint trail that takes you up the ridge to the summit. I don't know what it's like with snow on it. Shed hunting is going out looking for deer and elk antlers that the deer and elk drop every year. I got $11 a pound for 3 I sold last year. I got $160 for them.
workmanflock
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

myfeetrock wrote:
workmanflock wrote:
Going west take the 109 exit ( Canyon Creek ) then turn right ( east ) on to 6&24. Continue till the road dead ends to a parking lot. This is the trailhead for the Storm King Memorial Trail. Instead of going across the canyon to the Memorial, you hang a left on a faint trail that takes you up the ridge to the summit. I don't know what it's like with snow on it. Shed hunting is going out looking for deer and elk antlers that the deer and elk drop every year. I got $11 a pound for 3 I sold last year. I got $160 for them.
Thanks kindly. I should have known what shed hunting was :) I'm not sure why I was thinking the kind of shed you put stuff in.

Edit - I'm not familiar with the Hogback or how to get to it.Could you elaborate on the hikes?
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I've done a few things out your way, I will second the Corcoran Pt via Tellerico Trail that John Paul posted as a great Book Cliffs outing. I have also done the two peaks out at Mack he mentioned, those are popular Mountain Bike trails, so watch for bikes! I trail ran the pair from the saddle between then.

Another option in that areas is Rabbit Ears Mesa, trail all the way around, not much elevation gain though, but could make a nice trail run circuit. http://listsofjohn.com/peak/6576

Haven't been up anything near Parachute, but have done a few things on the Hogback more out around Silt. Lots of bushwhacking on Andgee BM/8057, but a public access point off County 226 with some dirt bike trails that get you up against the bottom of the Hogback before the 'schack. http://listsofjohn.com/peak/5207

Jerry BM was much better, there is a road to the radio towers, and then easy bushwhacking on intermittent trail along the ridge. Also can go out and back to other peaks, I went to 7725 but not farther. You can park at the bottom across the street from the State Park access to Grass Valley Reservoir (just through Harvey Gap). Its not on State Park land and I did not pay for a day pass, there were two other cars and neither paid, and none of us were ticketed so I think its okay. You can see the dirt lot with about 6 cars in it on the satellite view. http://listsofjohn.com/peak/5416

I want to get up Monument Peak, I have a trails illustrated that makes it look like its got a trail to the top, but haven't checked it out yet. http://listsofjohn.com/peak/3930

I have also been up Storm King, a little different route, I took the trail to the memorial (which is a ranked 7er, PT 7020), and then bushwhacked up the southwest ridge. Sounds like the route myfeetrock took would have been better though.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
myfeetrock
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

Edit - I'm not familiar with the Hogback or how to get to it.Could you elaborate on the hikes?[/quote]

The Grand Hogback runs from Glenwood to Meeker. It's the ridge on the south side of I70 and crosses 70 at New Castle then runs on the north side turning north just above Rifle. From the start here point you'll follow an old fire road then bushwhack to the ridge where you run into another road. When you leave the road you will follow the ridge all the way to New Castle. I think it's about a 10 mile hike.
Attachments
hogback trail.jpg
hogback trail.jpg (259.29 KiB) Viewed 249 times