Good Acclimitization Peak, Likely Front Rangeish

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AprilForever
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Good Acclimitization Peak, Likely Front Rangeish

Post by AprilForever »

My wife, daughter, and I are visiting Colorado from Florida in September, and plan on climbing La Plata south route, but we will be likely in the Denver area for a bit first. What would be a good acclimitization peak? I have successfully summited Elbert and Evans (by the class 2 north slopes easy route..), yet my wife has never summited, but has gotten to 12,400 ish with me on Quandary.

My daughter will be one year old. I have read posts here about climbing with young, how high would be good to start? I am wanting to be safe, but I don't want to live in a bunker built of fears and dead dreams. Also, maybe some advice about climbing with the young? Thanks!!!
Blond is the color of my true love's hair,
Her lips are like a rose so fair...
summitseeker91
14ers: 18  2  9 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Good Acclimitization Peak, Likely Front Rangeish

Post by summitseeker91 »

It's a tough call, especialy climbing with one too young to voice opinion about altitude sickness. It has been my experience that altitude effects different people in different ways. On a family vacation, we took the cog railway up pikes peak with my entire family, 8 siblings, and only my mom felt immediate alt. sickeness. My best recommendation would be to pick an entry level peak and slowly hike, enjoying the trip along the way, and make decisions accordingly.
"I spent four years working on my last climb, and the moment of success took me only about 10 minutes to achieve. The time we spend on the top is short. You have to enjoy the journey." - Chris Sharma
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

There are good threads here about hiking at 14k feet with kids, under "14er with kids," that have made suggestions from experience currently beyond my own...To this, are additional challenges about traveling and coming from out of state.

In general, Chief Mountain is close to Denver, and gets you up a bit, at 11700 feet.
There are better options for scenery that are a bit longer, and worthy destinations, in Rocky Mountain National Park (e.g. Twin Sisters, at 11400, Flattop, low 12's), that are longer drives, but if you want a quick part-of-the-day trip, something like Chief Mountain is a good option. As it is popular with families and kids, I find that seeing other kids (and people and dogs) on the trail can be a diversion for young ones especially.
Elevations at mid-11's-12k feet are regularly accessed safely by lift-served skiing, and some roads, and are generally tolerated without severe effect. This is a personal opinion and observation based on reading many threads and physiological articles...but FWIW, my son must be about the same age, and I've sort of put my own limit of ~12k feet for the first 6 months for sure, and out of practicality waiting until the summer climbing season to slowly push it higher. The idea is to become very familiar with our hiking routine in general first, and really establish our communication as best as possible Most importantly, make sure we have a routine that the baby actually enjoys!

I would suggest controlling or mitigating as many variables as possible. You mentioned ~12.4k with your wife on Quandary, so what was the reason for turning around? Perhaps it was elevation, or conditioning, or gear, or weather; and, undoubtedly, vertical terrain will be more challenging coming from Florida. So, the point of acclimatization hikes would be not only go get used to the altitude, but also shake out logistics of hiking. Of course, this begins at home, with long hikes with as much of the gear you plan to use out here, starting early in the morning, practicing changing diapers mid-hike, being comfortable wearing sunscreen and a hat and potentially warmer clothes than at home in Fla (e.g. wearing the clothes around the house), etc.

Enjoy, be safe, and happy trails!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

My favorite warmup is Loveland Pass. You start above treeline and get great peak views immediately.
In September you'll have a choice of three low-snow directions. Hike south at least up the first ridge. Then you can finish further east on 13K Sniktau peak if you still have energy.
Alternatively you may head southwest to the Cupid plateau.
Of go up the north side along the Loveland resort backbone which is less steep than the south ridge.

Loveland Pass has quick access from Denver. You stay on I-70 until the 216 exit, the go left uphill. Only about an hour from downtown. If you have an extra hour, then head continue through the pass to Keystone and Lake Dillion and catch I-70 back throguh the tunnel.
AprilForever
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AprilForever »

madbuck wrote:I would suggest controlling or mitigating as many variables as possible. You mentioned ~12.4k with your wife on Quandary, so what was the reason for turning around? Perhaps it was elevation, or conditioning, or gear, or weather; and, undoubtedly, vertical terrain will be more challenging coming from Florida. So, the point of acclimatization hikes would be not only go get used to the altitude, but also shake out logistics of hiking. Of course, this begins at home, with long hikes with as much of the gear you plan to use out here, starting early in the morning, practicing changing diapers mid-hike, being comfortable wearing sunscreen and a hat and potentially warmer clothes than at home in Fla (e.g. wearing the clothes around the house), etc.

Enjoy, be safe, and happy trails!
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Sorry to reply late, I don't have internet at home right now (I am saving money by bumming internet from fast food free wifi, and other sources...) Anyway, the reason we turned around last time on Quandary was essentially nerves. My wife just felt a little overwhelmed by everything, and was kind of scared of the feelings, the exposure (we are from FLorida, remember... Quandry is WAY exposure compared to here! :) ), and really just got unsettled by the low pressure feeling. Also, from where we stopped to the summit was all snow, and that added concerns for her. I felt better than I have ever felt on a 14er, and am certain I could have summited, but, leaving one's wife half up the mountain on a honeymoon is ill-advised... Afterwards, she felt better about the whole thing. I am certain she will be fine on the next attempt. Likely. we will try Flattop. It has very good views, it seems, from google earth, anyway. And RMNP in such a blast too!!!

Thanks everyone! We are getting to work... Hiked a bunch in Kentucky last week...
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

+1 on the Loveland Pass idea.

+1 on caution with a kiddo that young. I asked similar questions a couple of years ago when we found out we were preggo. If nothing else, make sure the weather is perfect, take lots of diapers and small bags to seal them in. Monitor the kiddo for normal behavior and look at their nail beds to check for signs of low o2 saturation. Don't forget the sunscreen.

You might want to aim for an easier peak than La Plata for her first. I know you said she's much more confident and La Plata is by no means exposed, but there are some parts along the route that require some scrambling through some pretty rough decently steep talus.

Sherman or a return to Quandary to take care of unfinished business might be a better idea. Shorter day as well which can do wonders for hiking with a spouse that likes it, but doesn't love it. Less time out with the kiddo as well...
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

AprilForever wrote:My wife, daughter, and I are visiting Colorado from Florida in September, and plan on climbing La Plata south route, but we will be likely in the Denver area for a bit first. What would be a good acclimitization peak? I have successfully summited Elbert and Evans (by the class 2 north slopes easy route..), yet my wife has never summited, but has gotten to 12,400 ish with me on Quandary.

My daughter will be one year old. I have read posts here about climbing with young, how high would be good to start? I am wanting to be safe, but I don't want to live in a bunker built of fears and dead dreams. Also, maybe some advice about climbing with the young? Thanks!!!
+2 on the Loveland Pass area for acclimatization training. However given where you are planning to be I'd stay in Leadville and acclimate with hikes around there.

La Plata would probably not be a good choice for someone who's never summited but if that's the area you want to be in Huron might be a good choice. It's a lot less of a suffer fest for someone who hasn't been up to 14k. La Plata is doable but the SW Slopes has a lot of talus after you get up the cirque/saddle. Both the talus and the saddle climb can be challenging while managing a 1 year old. It's not super hard just steep and loose (saddle). Huron has some steep loose stuff as well but IMO would be a better family climb given everything you stated.

The problem with doing something like this with a 1 year old is communication. She won't be able to effectively communicate any symptoms verbally. As described by Theodore you should carefully read up on the symptoms for AMS, HAPE and HACE and monitor closely. Then, be ready to descend immediately if necessary.
matt_foco
14ers: 34 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by matt_foco »

Two favorites. Bear peak in boulder and Twin Sisters in Estes. Both give you large amounts of elevation gain, as well as a workut.
Destroy all summit signs
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

If you haven't already, check with your pediatrician BEFORE bringing a 1 year old from sea level to 14,000ft. That would seem logical and prudent.

As for La Plata, that peak is no slam dunk. The standard route is over 4000ft vertical and a good 9 miles rt. Not a hike to discover altitude problems at 13,000 ft. You'd be pretty far into it by then. Depending on your conditioning, it can be a rough slog. Route finding can get dicey as you approach the final summit ascent. Not sure I'd want to be hauling a baby around this puppy without more experience under my belt. And if your wife was unnerved by Quandary, wait til she reaches the ridge crest and Ellingwood Ridge stares her square in the face. Like many of the longer hikes, this gets more difficult the higher you get. With the drive, its going to be a looooong day. You might consider tackling something a little closer and a bit easier.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
AprilForever
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AprilForever »

Sadly, real life has struck. Due to my A/C breaking (these are necessary in South Florida...), and a few other unexpected expendatures, my wife and I have decided to postpone the trip for a year. But, to answer the questions anyway, I have researched HAPE and HACE and AMS, and intend to keep abreast on them before I get there, whenever that comes to being. I am an RN, actually, and am pretty familiar with assessing for what are called soft neuro signs; ie, baby gets lethargic, irritable, just acts different, it is time to descend. Babies actually handle low oxygen better than adults, due to their physiology (and circulating fetal hemoglobin...). But, Arianna will have to wait to see her first great mountains until next year! Likely the same also with snow, and a whole host of other fun things. We have been hiking down here, and will be keeping it up.

Thanks though everyone for the replies! We are not giving up on this dream, just delayed!