Good relatively snow free trail run good with elevation gain

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Schwinn
Trip Reports (0)

Good relatively snow free trail run good with elevation gain

Post by Schwinn »

Any thoughts on an early season trail run with a couple k of elevation gain? Maybe an 11,12,13er? Proximity to Denver not all that important. Relatively snow free is important.

I've done some digging but can't find any good ideas.

Thanks!
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Good relatively snow free trail run good with elevation

Post by AlexeyD »

Schwinn wrote:Any thoughts on an early season trail run with 1k,2k,3k of elevation gain? Maybe an 11,12,13er? Proximity to Denver not all that important. Relatively snow free is important.

I've done some digging but can't find any good ideas.

Thanks!
OK, so this is not high elevation, BUT...the Mesa Trail in the Boulder Open Space would be a good choice. Almost entirely snow-free as of last Sunday, and probably completely so by now, given how warm it's been. The elevation gain would be in the form of lots of ups and downs, rather than continuous, but is pretty considerable - 3,250' over 13.4 miles if you run it in both directions.

If you prefer variety instead of just back and forth, you could take the Kohler Mesa trail near the north end, and the Blue Stem on the south end. Other variations are possible, too...it's a very big trail complex. Whatever you choose, it's absolutely fantastic trail running...I'm lucky enough to be able to access these trails from my house, and love it every time. Enjoy!
AndyJB444
14ers: 16  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndyJB444 »

Everything above 9k is probably no go for another month or so, at least - unless you're into snow running. You might get away with mostly snow free trails in Golden Gate state park. Otherwise, like previously, posted trails around Boulder are good, or Centennial Cone, Walker ranch, heil/hall, etc...
Schwinn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Schwinn »

Awesome, thanks for the replies!

I've not been up to the Mesa Trail. I'm going to do a bit of research on that thing and maybe check it out.
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

Mt Morrison
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

I'm going to check out Sheep Mountain today to see how it is as an after work trail running type deal. Elevation is about 8700 with a bit over 3500ft of gain and 10 miles RT.

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.as ... GR076-047B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Schwinn wrote:Awesome, thanks for the replies!

I've not been up to the Mesa Trail. I'm going to do a bit of research on that thing and maybe check it out.
The Mesa Trail is nice and if you feel like tagging some summits, you could hit up any combination of Bear Peak, S. Boulder Peak and Green Mountain from the Mesa Trail. Most of the trails in Boulder OSMP are dry (or quickly drying), except for a few short N. facing sections of trail near the summits. Easy to work with though with a shoe with decent traction.
Last edited by Jeff Valliere on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voodoo302
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voodoo302 »

I run Mesa Trail and its tributaries pretty regularly and they're mostly dry. Some patches of snow and mud as you move toward S. Boulder/Bear peaks. Mesa itself is a great trail with rolling elevation change, I really like it.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Did Mt falcon last sunday, and it was totally dry. about 2000 ft climb, and right by morrison.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The Manitou Incline is snow-free, as is Barr Trail up to about the Experimental Forest +/-. 2000' in a mile or 2.5 miles.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

gspup wrote:Mt Morrison
Yep, Mt. Morrison, 2K elev. gain (maybe 1950, actually), great workout, my wife and I do it a couple times a week. Ran into Lord Helmet up there last night, plus a couple other friends. Popular workout, but never too crowded. You can even catch a Red Rocks concert if you time it right!
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Went to Sheep Mountain and I would highly recommend it. It is around 10 miles and 3500ft of gain. A lot of ups and downs, fairly steep at times, and a good amount of flat sections. It's 12 miles west of I25/34 heading toward Estes.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.