Conditions for Twin Sisters RMNP?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
matt_foco
14ers: 34 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Conditions for Twin Sisters RMNP?

Post by matt_foco »

Hey Y'all I was thinking of doing a warm up hike on Thursday on the Twin Sisters. Has anyone climbed it recently and could give me a description of the conditions? I know it snowed heavily this weekend but with the weather warming up I really do not Know what to expect.

Thanks
-Matt
Destroy all summit signs
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Conditions for Twin Sisters RMNP?

Post by jsdratm »

I hiked it on the 3rd and there was snow the whole way up, but well packed on the trail. I'd recommend following the trail to the landslide area and crossing it to the south side, then following the tracks up until you are above the landslide and back on the trail.
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

Matt, I was up there just after the last snow, about two weeks ago. I am guessing that conditions are very similar right now. I wrote up a short report with photos here: http://www.danieljoderphotography.com/c ... ring-snow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got away without snowshoes, but it might have been better if I had taken them (50/50)--especially after the mudslide and on up to the top. The mudslide, BTW, took out a few switchbacks (see my report). Obviously, if a few people go up there before you that will make things a lot easier with a trench to follow. Good choice for a hike right now. Great views of Longs Peak.
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

BTW, Matt, in that same area you might also consider Mount Lady Washington as a 14er tuneup this time of year, although it would be a bit more time involved than Twin Sisters. Not really a very spectacular mountain in itself, but the views of the Diamond, Chasm Lake area, and RMNP are pretty sweet. I was up there a week ago: http://www.danieljoderphotography.com/c ... -whiteout/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
matt_foco
14ers: 34 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by matt_foco »

Thank you all for the responses! I will also look into Mt Lady Washington this weekend.
Destroy all summit signs
joelsteidl
14ers: 23 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by joelsteidl »

I imagine Estes Cone would be similar conditions?

I'm looking for a good trail run this weekend near Estes Park (staying at YMCA of the Rockies).

I was considering Twin Sisters and Estes Cone.

Thanks!
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Twin Sisters is plastered white. Bare trail at the trailhead. Snow begins about 3/4 mile up the trail and is continuous to the summit; sloshy and wet. Bring arm floaties.
Estes Cone is mostly dry.
Thinking of heading back up Twin Sisters tomorrow early. Will post pics if I remember.
-Kiefer