Best hikes in RMNP?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Best hikes in RMNP?

Post by rdp32 »

Mt Ida is amazing. We saw zero people the entire day, and the scenery was as good as anywhere else in my opinion.

Another great option is to explore the shelf above Black Lake in upper Glacier Gorge. There's no official trail above Black Lake but it's impossible to get lost there and it's an amazing area. There are several little lakes up there right next to each other (Green Lake, Blue Lake, Frozen Lake). It makes for a longer day than Sky Pond but I like it slightly better (although Sky Pond is one of my favorites as well).
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

For those who recommended the Loch -> Andrew's Glacier -> Flattop, can you give some advice on that? I haven't done much winter stuff... is this a route (either going up or down) that is safe for a newbie like me with just microspikes and hiking poles and no real avy knowledge? If so, I am super intrigued, as this would combine two of my favorite parts of the park that I have been to (one being the Loch/Sky Pond, and the other being the Hallet/Otis/Taylor area).
Coucher73
14ers: 25 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Coucher73 »

Six words:

Wild Basin, Wild Basin, Wild Basin.

There are so many great options back in Wild Basin. Thunder Lake is awesome. Peak Lake is awesome. Bluebird Lake is awesome. Ouzel Lake is nice too. I've not been up to the Lion Lakes, but have heard great things about them.

The Ouzel Falls bridge was out last summer (and I think it is supposed to be fixed this summer) but there was a reasonably well-marked detour using a spur trail through the campsites about a mile into the hike.

These trails are a lot less crowded than the ones in Glacier Gorge/Bear Lake area. Much more of a wilderness feel...
dillonsarnelli
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 274 8
Trip Reports (53)

Post by dillonsarnelli »

Coucher73 wrote:Wild Basin, Wild Basin, Wild Basin.
^that. Keep walking right past the cascades and the falls and the opportunities are pretty much endless man.

Or you could just do Pagoda, Chiefs Head and McHenrys after Longs.
Dillon Sarnelli
IG @dillonsarnelli
Basecamp, CO
Craig Cook
14ers: 16 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Craig Cook »

dillonsarnelli wrote: Or you could just do Pagoda, Chiefs Head and McHenrys after Longs.

Haha, only if you're carrying me!
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Coucher73 wrote: There are so many great options back in Wild Basin. Thunder Lake is awesome. Peak Lake is awesome. Bluebird Lake is awesome. Ouzel Lake is nice too. I've not been up to the Lion Lakes, but have heard great things about them.
I really enjoyed Thunder Lake, and Lion Lakes, too. Trio Falls, between Lion Lake #1 and #2, is freaking beautiful (my photos do not do it justice so I won't post them), and when I went up there in the middle of the summer in 2012, I had the whole place to myself. It's almost 15 miles and 2,760 feet of elevation roundtrip so you won't run into the usual hordes of RMNP hikers and tourists. Click on page 35 in the following link for details.

Lion Lakes Trail Waterfalls - Thunder Falls and Trio Falls

-Susan
mathguy
14ers: 9 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mathguy »

rdp32 wrote:For those who recommended the Loch -> Andrew's Glacier -> Flattop, can you give some advice on that? I haven't done much winter stuff... is this a route (either going up or down) that is safe for a newbie like me with just microspikes and hiking poles and no real avy knowledge? If so, I am super intrigued, as this would combine two of my favorite parts of the park that I have been to (one being the Loch/Sky Pond, and the other being the Hallet/Otis/Taylor area).
A common way of doing this is to do it in the reverse direction: go up Flattop from Bear Lake, travel south along the Divide (maybe bagging Hallett and/or Otis along the way) until you get to Andrews Pass, glissade (or boot ski depending on snow
conditions) down Andrews Glacier, and out via the Andrews Glacier trail (which runs into the Loch-Vale trail). This is usually non-technical from late June to early September and the glissade down the glacier can be well controlled even with hiking poles. In late summer the glacier can develop exposed ice and perhaps some crevasses, which might necessitate using an axe, so if doing the hike then it's a good idea to check with the Park Rangers on conditions.
andrewrose
14ers: 6  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (5)

Post by andrewrose »

Wild Basin is where my heart is. Some other suggestions- from Finch Lake TH- Finch and Pear Lakes. If you're motivated, continuing on up to Hutcheson Lakes and Cony Lake is worth the effort. A spectacular drainage. From Wild Basin Th- Eagle and Box Lakes (near Thunder Lake) and Eagle's Beak are all very spectacular and you will be all alone. Bluebird Lake is great. As mentioned, Trio Falls in the Lion Lake area is awesome. Thunder Falls (outlet of Lion Lake) is very cool. Mt. Alice, Pilot Mountain, and Isolation Peak are my favorite peaks, but all pretty far in. You could look at doing Horsetooth Peak and Lookout Mountain from the Horse Creek TH in Meeker Park. Pretty cool places.
In other parts of the park, I'd agree that going up into upper Glacier Gorge is totally worth it. Very pretty. Fay Lakes in the Mummy Range would be an all time favorite. Dark Mountain is a cool summit and will give you some pretty good views. You could do a loop starting at the Dunraven TH and ascending Signal Mountains and Stormy Peaks. If you are thinking of camping, the Stormy Peaks site has one of the best views in the park. The lakes in the drainage below are spectacular.
On the west side, Mt. Ida is a great suggestion. If you'd like to do a longer day, you could go out to Terra Tomah Mountain and back. The Never Summers are pretty great too if you like to do some scrambly stuff. Richthofen, Static Peak, and The Electrode make a fun loop with some exposure and great views.
CEO and head pancake maker at http://www.hikingrmnp.org
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

rdp32 wrote:For those who recommended the Loch -> Andrew's Glacier -> Flattop, can you give some advice on that? I haven't done much winter stuff... is this a route (either going up or down) that is safe for a newbie like me with just microspikes and hiking poles and no real avy knowledge? If so, I am super intrigued, as this would combine two of my favorite parts of the park that I have been to (one being the Loch/Sky Pond, and the other being the Hallet/Otis/Taylor area).
It is definitely better to go in the early summer while there is still a layer of last winter's snow on it. I've seen icy patches open up along the route in late July before, so it depends season to season after mid July. If you have good snow you can climb it in just hiking shoes, microspikes and poles make it much easier though.

I think its better to climb the glacier first, climb Taylor/Otis/Hallett second. This way you will know the condition of the glacier beforehand, plus it's a little more comfortable than going down for first timers. Stick to the left side as you climb(south side) and gradually climb the hump in the glacier about halfway up. Then it's smooth sailing to Andrews Pass.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
akoller
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 23 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by akoller »

I went up Andrews glacier on July 4 of last year and the steepest snow was not on the glacier but on a slope just below Andrews Tarn. We used axes/microspikes although it's up to you to decide if those are necessary.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I'd go with the ascent of Flattop and descent of Andrews Glacier. I've ascended and descended it four times and done the F/H/O loop twice. It can be icy early morning but an ascent of Flattop first (and Hallett and Otis if desired, or 13er Taylor Peak) should allow for it to soften up. Mid summer usually not an issue unless it's been cold or rainy the night before (I found it hard/icy around July 4 a couple years ago on the ascent around 7am but it softened up on the descent). You normally wouldn't need spikes or anything special for the glissade down, it's got a big runout and isn't steep. It's a fun loop and doesn't involve much route finding (top of Andrews is clearly signed with warnings above the other snowfields that are technical). With all the snow this spring and last year there shouldn't be big crevasses, and sticking to the right on the descent is pretty safe - long flat runouts.

Also have to agree with the Glacier Gorge (especially upper part) and Mt Ida recs - and CCY if accessible. Lots of good suggestions here. Lawn Lake is more of a long slog in the trees if you aren't doing any of the 13ers up there. Never Summers are great on the west side - Thunder Pass area and Static Peak as mentioned. It's somewhat longer hike in from CO river than approaching from the north outside the park though.

And Indian Peaks is a great (albeit crowded option) just south of the park - best to hit it on a weekday. Isabelle Glacier is one of the most scenic hikes in the area. And the Arapaho Peaks if you're willing to drive just a bit more south.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

andrewrose wrote:From Wild Basin Th- Eagle and Box Lakes (near Thunder Lake) and Eagle's Beak are all very spectacular and you will be all alone.
I've got backcountry reservations in July for Thunder Lake, just curious is there a fisherman's/game/climbers trail from Thunder to Box and Eagle Lakes? I've heard rumors about the fishing back there being spectacular and didn't know if it was just going to be a straight bushwack or not. Thanks!

To the OP, I'll second the recommendation to Parika Lake. Nice easy hike with a beautiful lake at the end. A quick jaunt to Parikia Peak and "Fairview Peak" can be tacked on as well. Just a class 1 walk across the tundra from the pass above the lake. Ida is a great hike as well to get the 'trail ridge road' feel, without dealing with all the traffic and being stuck inside your car as you hike along the crest of the divide