Best hikes in RMNP?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Craig Cook
14ers: 16 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Best hikes in RMNP?

Post by Craig Cook »

peter303 wrote:You might also consider entering the park from the west side too. There can be half hour lines on the Estes Park side on summer weekend afternoons. You can still exit by Estes Park if you want to see the town.
My wife and I are staying at a cabin in Estes Park, so we'll be entering from the east side. However, all our hikes will be on weekdays - although I don't know how much difference that will make in July, haha!!
barbiesue53
14ers: 11 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (4)

Post by barbiesue53 »

A great hike is to Mtn Ida. About 9.5 RT, starting at the Poudre Lake Trailhead (toward the west side of the park). The views are stunning as you travel across the Divide. Enjoy your time in the RMNP.
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

Dream lake is lovely but there will be crowds. However when you reach dream lake you can take a trail to lake Hiayaha which is very cool and rocky and not as much travelled and you get a different view of Hallett. Sky pond and the Loch will always have my vote
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
snowypeaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowypeaks »

A nice, loop day hike...

Bear Lake --> The Loch --> Andrews Glacier --> Andrews Pass --> Flattop Mtn. --> descend to Bear Lake on Flattop Mtn. trail. ~12 miles.

Enjoy.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

snowypeaks wrote:A nice, loop day hike...

Bear Lake --> The Loch --> Andrews Glacier --> Andrews Pass --> Flattop Mtn. --> descend to Bear Lake on Flattop Mtn. trail. ~12 miles.

Enjoy.
I have done that route (except I started at the Glacier Gorge TH) and I second the nomination. A fun, fun day.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

You don't really mention length or difficulty, though you mention some plans. What do you like most in a hike? Running water? Lakes/points? Views? Up on ridges or enclosed in bowls? As open or above treeline as possible, or lots of in the forest?

A couple of shorter ones: In my opinion Dream/Emerald is the shortest, quintessential RMNP hike. It is of course probably one of the busiest too, but I feel like it captures the essence of the park in a fairly short distance. Another hike I like that's reasonably short is the Cub Lake/Pool loop (I prefer going clockwise, but either way is good). Mills/Black and the Loch/Glass are good - can always do both. Someone mentioned Hiayaha. There's actually a connecting trail between the Mills/Loch junction and a point not too far from that lake. I sometimes go to up to the Loch (and beyond) via Glacier Gorge and Alberta Falls, then return via that connecting trail, coming down over/by Emerald. There are a *lot* of loops you could make from Bear Lake, but it is one of the busier hubs in the park. Sometimes having shorter options to string together is nice in case you want a 'relaxing' day.

Any of the hikes out of Wild Basin are pretty good, but parking is limited down there so get in early. Also means fewer people though. Note with the bridge out at Ouzel, if the new one isn't finished by then, you have some considerations.

On the west side North and East inlet trails are the best from what I remember, but I don't spend a lot of time over there and haven't been in a while.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Can't really go wrong with any in RMNP, but for an "easier" (read: non-14er) hike, I've always loved Sky Pond. If you leave early enough you can escaped the majority of the crowds.

I'll be in Estes Park the last full week of July. If you're around during that time, shoot me an email. I plan to do Longs at least once during my stay and I'd be happy to have you along.
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Since you're staying in Estes, you should really consider the Gem Lake hike as a nice local warmup hike. Terrific views of Estes Park and the Divide, and there's a very scenic pond at the top. While the hike is short, there is plenty of elevation gain to give the legs and lungs a workout.
Roll No Rocks
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

Alpine Guy wrote:Since you're staying in Estes, you should really consider the Gem Lake hike as a nice local warmup hike. Terrific views of Estes Park and the Divide, and there's a very scenic pond at the top. While the hike is short, there is plenty of elevation gain to give the legs and lungs a workout.
You can also make a loop out of that. I did it once going along Lumpy up Black Canyon, then down to Cow Creek with a short detour up to Bridal Veil Falls, then back up and over Gem.
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

acidchylde wrote:You can also make a loop out of that. I did it once going along Lumpy up Black Canyon, then down to Cow Creek with a short detour up to Bridal Veil Falls, then back up and over Gem.
I've done this the other direction and agree, this is a spectacular loop.
Craig Cook
14ers: 16 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Craig Cook »

Absolutely loving the suggestions so far!

I see Mt. Ida and Sky Pond are getting some extra love, so I'll definitely have to look deeper into those hikes.

Enjoying the ideas for short hikes as well - I see Gem Lake mentioned, as well as others earlier in the thread - so that maybe we can do multiple hikes on one of our days.
CODave
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 61 1
Trip Reports (31)

Post by CODave »

Shelf and Solitude Lakes above Glacier Gorge provide some awesome scenery.