Help With Identifying Location

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
REM12082010
14ers: 31 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Help With Identifying Location

Post by REM12082010 »

Can anyone identify the location shown in the attached images. The pictures (2, same location, slightly different perspective) were taken by my father (deceased) and while the location looks familiar to me I cannot place it. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Location 3-#2.JPG
Location 3-#2.JPG (105.06 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
Location 3-#1.JPG
Location 3-#1.JPG (110.71 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Help With Identifying Location

Post by jblyth »

Maybe Echo Lake on Mt Evans?
cpb145
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cpb145 »

I was thinking Echo Lake as well, but compared it to a few pics I have of the lake, and it doesn't match. There is a big v shaped dip in your pics below the moon, and from a similar perspective of Echo Lake there would be a mountain there, not a valley. So not sure where this is at, but it really does look familiar to me too. Someone here will know...
-Chris
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Doesn't look like it is from Echo Lake. Bard Peak may seen from there, so is Pettingel Peak I believe, but the view doesn't match.

Was it taken in Colorado?
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
REM12082010
Trip Reports (0)

Post by REM12082010 »

Mark asked:
Was it taken in Colorado?
While I cannot say for sure, I am pretty certain it would have been. The two young children in the picture are mine and my wife and I don't recall the kids going anywhere out of state with my folks. My parents lived in Rifle, Colorado and spent a lot of time in the White River National Forest, so for now that is where I am focusing my search.

I am glad to see members of this forum looking at the mountains in the background. I think that is the key. There is not enough information regarding the body of water to begin to identify the location based on that.

cpb145 stated:
Someone here will know...
That is what I was anticipating. The more pairs of eyes viewing these images and comparing that with their treks here in Colorado; well maybe I get closure on this.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to look at my post and offer their suggestions.

Ron
tdallred
14ers: 50  4  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tdallred »

Looks to me like Emerald lake on the halfmoon creek road between Elbert and Massive, right before the North Elbert trailhead. I don't have a picture but Google Earth seems pretty close.
Attachments
Google Earth Emerald Lake.jpg
Google Earth Emerald Lake.jpg (170.05 KiB) Viewed 596 times
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Winner!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
REM12082010
Trip Reports (0)

Post by REM12082010 »

Wow! I would have to agree with Bill that you have a "Winner" "tdallred." Your Google Earth image has all the key elements. I would never had discovered this on my own. Now all I need is an opportunity to go and visit that location for myself. A big thanks to all on this forum who have contributed.
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

If you go to Google Maps and find that lake, and either bring up the Explore bar at the bottom right or just switch to sat view, it'll show you pictures people have taken and posted online. There are a few in that immediate area, and while none are from quite the same spot at least two of them have enough visible that would seem to confirm it as the right place.