Weminuche Trails

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mennoguy
14ers: 43 
13ers: 339
Trip Reports (44)

Weminuche Trails

Post by mennoguy »

I've been looking at some old maps of the Weminuche near Needle Creek and I see a trail leaving Needle Creek near New York Creek which heads south to Emerald Lake. The only mention of the trail I could find was in a 1970s guidebook which said it was a difficult unmaintained trail. Has anyone here hiked the trail, is it still navigable?
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Weminuche Trails

Post by DaveLanders »

There is a trail going up to Webb Lake from the New York Creek junction. In spite of what my topo maps say, it stays on the
west side of the outlet creek from Webb Lake. The upper part was a pretty clear switchbacking trail; I lost it lower down, but
I might have missed a switchback. I've heard that the alleged Emerald Lake trail doesn't actually exist, but I've never tried to
find it myself. There's all kinds of old mining ruins in there, but they're pretty much invisible from the Needle Creek trail.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.