Name that (famous?) 12er

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Name that (famous?) 12er

Post by Scott P »

Took this shot of a Colorado 12er over the weekend. I'm just wondering how many 14ers members can identify it:
Davis-Buffalo Ridge 070.JPG
Davis-Buffalo Ridge 070.JPG (319.29 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
I'm guessing that almost all 14ers.com members have heard of this mountain (there is a company named after it), but I'm also guessing that relatively few know what the mountain being referred to looks like.

(PS, the skies were a bit hazy this weekend; otherwise my photos would have turned out better).
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Name that (famous?) 12er

Post by kaiman »

Nic picture Scott! That's Big Agnes Peak in the Mount Zirkel Wilderness area. Right?
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Yes, that's it. I imagine everyone has heard of the company Big Agnes, but not as many (outside the local area) know the mountain that it is named for.
piolet
14ers: 46  8 
13ers: 28 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by piolet »

Nice picture Scott. I got a similar view yesterday from the top of Buck Mountain. I saw that you started the summit register up there. Thanks. There were about 5 signatures from Summer/Fall 2014 and another 5 or so from Summer/Fall 2013. Mostly hunters during elk season. I did see a signature by Susan Joy Paul. Were you on Davis Peak?
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Scott P wrote:Yes, that's it. I imagine everyone has heard of the company Big Agnes, but not as many (outside the local area) know the mountain that it is named for.
Thanks. It's been about 7-8 years since I was climbing in that area so my memory is a bit hazy. What drainage were you in when you took that photo? My recollection of that peak is from a different angle... Also isn't there a Little and Medium Agnes Peaks as well?
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Were you on Davis Peak?
Yes. How were the mud, postholing, swamps, and mosquitoes over on Buck? Davis was a challenge. I climbed it with my 11 year old daughter and we also climb Buffalo Ridge. In the register, we signed the 4th summit log in 21 years (and two of those were signed by people trying to climb the 10ers in Colorado). It usually feels lonely in that section of Colorado and it felt like we were the only ones around for miles, but it is amazing that you happened to be only a few miles away climbing something else. There were elk all over the place as well.
Also isn't there a Little and Medium Agnes Peaks as well?
Only Little. The photo was taken from Davis Peak.

Little Agnes is a nice little mountain, but at 11,497 feet, it doesn't seem to get much attention. Still, it's a nice peak and in this part of the state is a much more alpine mountain than it would be at a similar elevation in many other parts of the state. Here's Little Agnes:
Davis-Buffalo Ridge 069.JPG
Davis-Buffalo Ridge 069.JPG (306.02 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
In some areas of the state, this mountain wouldn't even reach timberline, but in this part of the state, the timberline is much lower, so 11ers have a more alpine look.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info. Despite the bugs, the Zirkel is one of my favorite places in the state. I need to get back there sometime soon... I've always really liked the Flattops too but the Zirkels definitely have a more remote feel to them.

- Joe Stettner

- Andy Kirkpatrick
drewski
14ers: 47  6 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by drewski »

I guessed it even though it's been 35 years since I've seen it. I spent my first two years in Colorado around North Park, so I have lots of memories of that area. I haven't been that far north in the state since though.
piolet
14ers: 46  8 
13ers: 28 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by piolet »

Scott P wrote: Yes. How were the mud, postholing, swamps, and mosquitoes over on Buck? Davis was a challenge. I climbed it with my 11 year old daughter and we also climb Buffalo Ridge. In the register, we signed the 4th summit log in 21 years (and two of those were signed by people trying to climb the 10ers in Colorado). It usually feels lonely in that section of Colorado and it felt like we were the only ones around for miles, but it is amazing that you happened to be only a few miles away climbing something else. There were elk all over the place as well.

We climbed the west ridge up to Buck Mountain's taller, southern summit (11,396) on Saturday and then hiked up nearby Dome Peak (10,524) on Sunday. The mosquitoes and postholing weren't too bad, but we struggled with some swampy/flooded areas. The west ridge on Buck Mountain ended up being a good route for the conditions because the snow had melted off the sunny rocks on the crest of the ridge so most of the time we were hiking/scrambling on dry rock with deep slushy snow to the left/North of us and boggy/wet ground to the right/South of us. To get to the summit from the top of the ridge we hiked over semi-firm snow on the way up and postholed up to our thighs on the way down. We used axes but could've gotten away without them. Most of the comments in the summit register were from hunters saying they hadn't seen any elk, but like you, we saw a lot (also deer, pronghorn and a bear).

That's great that you got up such remote peaks with your daughter. I like how quiet it is up there even though the hiking and climbing are great and the landscape around Big Agnes and the Sawtooth is so rugged. I was pleased but not surprised to see that you had started a summit register on Buck and posted a picture from the area. I moved to the area about 5 years ago from Denver and have used a lot of information that you have posted (here, summitpost, bogely) along with Joe Kramarsic's Mountaineering in the Park Range to learn the area and inspire my own ideas and adventures (ie: Big A to Little A traverse, Big A from Diamond Park, etc). Thanks for providing so much great info. I would enjoy climbing something with you sometime if you're interested.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I would enjoy climbing something with you sometime if you're interested.
Sure. I don't mind climbing with others. I still have a lot to explore in the area.