Moderate to Easier Hiking Suggestions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sieggy80305
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Moderate to Easier Hiking Suggestions

Post by sieggy80305 »

I have some friends coming in from out of town next week and we are taking a few days to camp and hike over by Twin Lakes / Turquoise Lake. I have a mixed bag of hiking skills with the group I'll be with. I'm taking the tougher portion of the group up La Plata but wanted to find some suggestions for easier to moderate hikes in the area for the others. I'm a bit less familiar with the area than I am with other parts of Colorado so was hoping to get some thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Sieg
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Moderate to Easier Hiking Suggestions

Post by Scott P »

Halfmoon Lakes, Windsor Lake, Timberline Lake, or Native Lake might be good hikes to try. You could also drive to Independence Pass and hike the ridges.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
scottda
14ers: 25  2 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottda »

From the La Plata TH on 82 they can keep going on the dirt road past the La Plata trail turn off. It's a pretty gentle hike. I've done it several times in the winter on both XC skis and snowshoes.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." ~ Edward Abbey

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" ~ Edward Abbey

flickr
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Drive to the top of Independence Pass and start hiking southwest. Great views above treeline.
The trail is not too hard. But it starts at 12K altitude which could be difficult if not acclimatized.
There is probably patchy snow still around.
sieggy80305
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sieggy80305 »

Thanks for the info everybody. I'll check those out.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

If you want something really easy to start with, go down to Buena Vista, cross the river on a footbridge, and take the trail to "Midland Mountain". Very easy and doesn't go anywhere remotely near treeline.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6