drone ropeguns?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: drone ropeguns?

Post by highpilgrim »

Tortoise1 wrote:If you had a bigger drone, with a pilot, you could dispense with the rope altogether.
If you had a bigger drone, with a pilot, and the right weapons system, you could earn a lot of money as a government consultant. When you weren't climbing that is.

A righties wet dream, for sure. :mrgreen:
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tobiasfunke »

I hear the zipline on Everest is supposed to be completed by 2017.
matt pierce
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

Yes I did do Kili twice - the first time I got AMS...

On my second trip I wanted to do it self supported. Unfortunately you are legally REQUIRED to hire a guide and porters. I DID cook all of my own food and did the best I could to make it self supported. But anyhow...

Yes Darin you were 1 of the BMS instructors in my snow skills class in 2007:
bms5 052x.jpg
bms5 052x.jpg (141.3 KiB) Viewed 821 times
You and I have been on other trips together as well (like Lake Como) - not sure why you pretend not to remember or want to personally attack me. I suppose you never did like me very much but that's fine...

Yes I do TR from time to time - it's true :shock: - I even 2nd on multi-pitch :shock: - I even indicate topropes on my MP tick list - no big deal

None of this of course has anything to do with me sharing comments about drone usage but you have all digressed eh?
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Matt, it's just funny to me that you would get so upset about a few guys that were being creative and having fun. Their report, at least to me, was not some braggy look at us kind of report. It seemed pretty honest and up front, and they were doing their best to be safe while feeding a greedy checklist -- much like most of us try to do. :)

I forgot about the Como trip. Same trip I met a Kansas dude.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

matt pierce wrote:...None of this of course has anything to do with me sharing comments about drone usage but you have all digressed eh?
Actually it has everything to do with it. You criticized somebody else's ascent ethics and the same was done to you. It is pretty impressive how climbers particularly get bent out of shape easily when it comes to the ethics of others but get mad when their own ethics are questions. Prime example is the mess over on MP about the NCCC re-bolting some old chopped lines at Duncan's Ridge. Reading that thread is a great insight as to how critical people can be while remaining blind at the same time. It's represented on both sides of the argument.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
skier25
14ers: 44  10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by skier25 »

I couldn't help but think that the Conglomerate pedestal the tower is situated on looks awfully sketchy, imo. yikes - don't think I would have gone up there.

P.S. It's about enjoying yourself in the mountains, regardless of methods or previous accomplishments. And generally the safer, the better!
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.
matt pierce
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

The point is this:

Someone is claiming a FA of an unclimbed peak - that's a big deal and open to debate. Don't we debate stuff like Cerro Torre, the 3,000ft rule, oxygen or no oxygen on Everest and a million other things about mountaineering? Yes we do. While this is a small unknown peak climbed in a fun and different way - it is still being claimed as an FA and therefore gets to be debated.