Half Mountain Class 3 route RMNP

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Half Mountain Class 3 route RMNP

Post by dpage »

Recently the Fixed Pin Guide to RMNP came in the mail, and I noticed a route description for Half Mountain from Mill Lake "where the trail nears the lakes shore". It suggests that heading east leads to a gulley that is class 3. I cannot find anything on SummitPost or here as far as trip reports go. So I was wondering if anyone has done this route and what they thought about the quality of the scramble.
hskrhiker
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Half Mountain Class 3 route RMNP

Post by hskrhiker »

Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.hikingrmnp.org/2013/05/half- ... h.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dpage
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

thanks but that looks like the class two route described in fosters Rocky Mountain National Park guide book. The route I recently read about describe something from Mills lake and not from the North Longs Peak Trail.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

I have scrambled around on the knobs just NE of Mills Lake. There is a ridge which connects to Half Mtn from there,
but it looked pretty grungy. I haven't actually tried to climb it.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
andrewrose
14ers: 6  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (5)

Post by andrewrose »

Took this last week from the trail west of East Glacier Knob. Took a few pics from Mills Lake, but the background was too bright in the morning and you can't see much. This certainly looked like an option, though it may be loose. Looked like you could possibly head up from Mills Lake to end up south of the summit, but going to the summit direct requires climbing a steep headwall.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-x0deE8Ibeho/V ... %2B005.JPG
edit- couldn't get the image to display.
CEO and head pancake maker at http://www.hikingrmnp.org
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Obscure scrambling??? Let's do it!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
dpage
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Brian, I would love something more interesting than the class 2 route up Half Mtn. The most info I have is "where the trail nears Mills lake, bushwack east" from the Fixed Pin guide. That's more than enough to go on.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

dpage wrote:Brian, I would love something more interesting than the class 2 route up Half Mtn. The most info I have is "where the trail nears Mills lake, bushwack east" from the Fixed Pin guide. That's more than enough to go on.
If you guys run this route please take pics/ GPS track plz thanks. :)
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
andrewrose
14ers: 6  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (5)

Post by andrewrose »

I'd be up to join too if you guys go up there. Could probably do any weekday morning with a 5-6a start if that works.
CEO and head pancake maker at http://www.hikingrmnp.org