High Lonesome Loop Q

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

High Lonesome Loop Q

Post by jomagam »

When did this trail change *not* to go over Devils Thumb Pass ? I had some old maps and confusing directions which made it an interesting time yesterday. See http://www.strava.com/segments/1573256 vs http://pbakwin.home.comcast.net/~pbakwi ... oop_sm.jpg for the difference.
cordisimo
14ers: 31  4 
13ers: 46 2
Trip Reports (4)

Re: High Lonesome Loop Q

Post by cordisimo »

I've done it the past 2 years and I've always taken the Strava non-DT pass route. I descended the "true" DT pass while coming from Neva & Jasper, its just a gross gully that deposits you in the middle of some willows; I never saw an actual trail from what I remember. This pic shows what I saw in September, 2013.
I have always noticed that you're essentially off trail for a half mile or so after the new pass getting back to the CDT, sort of a confusing bit for sure. Great loop nonetheless! :-D
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Thanks. Yeah, we had to do about 50 yards of willows. The pass proper was just a snow wall, so we elected to go down 200 yards south of it. There was another couple at the pass seemingly scratching their heads about what to do. And it is a great loop, though from Devils Thumb Lake it was pouring on Sunday.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

Given the semi-permanent snowfield on the east side of Devils Thumb Pass, I don't think the trail ever
went directly to the pass from the east. The USGS topo maps for the Indian Peaks and the southern part of
RMNP are riddled with errors as far as trail locations go.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.