Time to complete Pawnee-Buchanan Loop

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Clbeals
Trip Reports (0)

Time to complete Pawnee-Buchanan Loop

Post by Clbeals »

Was planning to do Pawnee-Buchanan loop and skip crater lake. It seems like that would be just around 22 miles. I will be coming in from New York and climbing Friday. Was planning to hike 2-3 hours Friday night, camp and then come around most of the trail on Saturday in the cascade creek area and aim to hike out and be back to car by 11 or 12noon on Sunday to catch my flight out. This seemed like a fairly do-able length based on past experience (did 18 mile days on the w in Patagonia a few months ago and on another trip in September).

In speaking to the Boulder ranger office they were trying to tell me this wasn't possible and was an extremely long loop given that I was an out of towner. Is the trail so rough that my estimates are way off? We would be keeping our packs fairly light as well. I couldn't tell if they were just sandbagging.
KansanClimber
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Time to complete Pawnee-Buchanan Loop

Post by KansanClimber »

Crater lake isn't part of the standard loop, so you're short on the milage. When I run it my watch varies between 25.5 and 27 miles. The trail up and over Pawnee is probably the most rugged, but otherwise the loop is about par for the Indian Peaks.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.” W. C. Fields
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

It's a rough trail, and it's high. Also, it's more like 26 miles (which is why people sometimes call it the Indian Peaks Marathon). It has been run in 4h50m, though most runners would take closer to 9 hours. If you don't have experience with these altitudes, or are not acclimated to them, that would be something to consider. Once you're on the west side you pretty much have to walk over another high pass to get back! Buchanan Pass *may* still have a tricky cornice at the top. It certainly is one of the most scenic routes of this length in the Front Range, or really in the entire state.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

It's hard to give advice because people's fitness/speed varies a lot, especially at altitude. On average you'll be hiking at 11k feet. Did you factor that in ? Are you good at altitude coming straight from sea-level ? One thing is sure though, the loop is 26 miles, not 22. http://www.strava.com/activities/70765857/overview.
Clbeals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Clbeals »

Thanks for the feedback - this is helpful. I was just going to assume 2mph in terms of pace. Regarding altitude have climbed to 20k in Peru with little issue. Will have 2 nights of acclimatization in Boulder prior to starting. Sounds like it shouldn't be an issue to do over 1.5 days and if feeling zesty turn back from Buchanan. Thank you for the clarification on the length - not sure how I got the lower figure.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

I agree with the others. She I've run it I get closer to 26-27mi for just the loop. Other than Pawnee the trail is pretty smooth per Colorado standards. It takes me around 7h to run the loop, you could do it on your itinerary, but if altitude affects you at all you'll have a rough go of it coming from sea level so quickly.
I've also heard there is still a nice cornice on the east side of Buchanan, it can be skirted with a small detour off trail.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

All good advice above. Rangers often try to discourage stuff like this, as they are often the ones who have to bail somebody out if they get in trouble. Typically, the rule of thumb is that if you have to ask, it may not be the best idea (though it might be fine with advance prep/knowledge/conditioning). If you are fit, acclimated and travel light, it is not a big deal, but could be an epic if you are not ready for it. Obviously, without knowing you, it is impossible to predict, so just use your best judgement and leave an itinerary with somebody if you decide to do so. A PLB would not be a bad idea either. Since you are tight on time, have you considered it in a day? As mentioned, runners do it in as little as ~4:50 (elite pro trail runner), to the 5-9 hour range, but seems like it could be hiked in 10 or 12 by somebody with average hiking fitness (but of course how well you acclimate is a factor).
ulvetano
14ers: 58  10  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Totally agree with Jeff above. Hiking the loop with a pack is pretty tough due to all the vert. The only probably with that idea for the OP is if they are on the slower side, they're likely to get hammered by lightning in the afternoon. OP - plan to not be crossing that ridge in the afternoon if you can avoid. I was just there yesterday and the lightning strikes were impressive!
KansanClimber
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (2)

Post by KansanClimber »

OP:

I'm not one to question a stranger's fitness, but I would encourage you to be conservative in your goals. The area is remote, and once you drop over either pass you're pretty committed to it. Additionally, the trail will probably be pretty wet and muddy in spots so that will slow you down. Then there the moderately deep stream crossing right below Fox Park, and the possibility of another avalanche debris field like last year.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are a lot of variables to consider, and you should take an honest assessment. If you do and still feel good, then best of luck and enjoy one of the best loops in the state! If not, the loop isn't going anywhere :)
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.” W. C. Fields
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Personally I think this is very do-able given from what it sounds like your fitness level is and being able to break it up into multiple days. Also, you'll be hiking above treeline and over the passes in the morning thus avoiding any bad weather hopefully. If you feel really good Saturday and weather is good, you can hike the full 20 mi and get back to the car, if Saturday is really tough and feel like you can't make it there is always a hike out point to the Monarch Lake trailhead on the other side which gets heavy traffic so help will be easy to find. Rangers seem like they always discourage people from doing stuff like this, but only you know your fitness and your body. Just my 2 cents.

Friday: hike around 6mi camp near the Coney Creek area.
Saturday: over Buchanan and camp near Pawnee lake (14 miles)
Sunday: up really early and hike the last 6 miles over pawnee pass back to the car
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rick Canter
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Rick Canter »

Another curious flatlander here. How do I find specs on this loop, trailhead, elevation profiles? Is it in a book (Roach's IPW?), and can anyone show a map/route on topographic software?
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Rick Canter wrote:Another curious flatlander here. How do I find specs on this loop, trailhead, elevation profiles? Is it in a book (Roach's IPW?), and can anyone show a map/route on topographic software?
Hey Rick, there is a map attached to the above Strava link, but here is my Garmin data from my run last September if that helps at all:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/582835943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Granted, I ran this in September, on a weekday, but it has a very remote feel. I ran for over 5 hours without seeing another human (though I did flush out a few moose) and only saw a few people over the last hour as I went over Pawnee and back to the Long Lake parking lot. Mid summer you will for sure see more than that at times, but I suspect outside the busy areas, it will still be somewhat quiet.