Maroon Bells 4-pass loop: 8 questions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Maroon Bells 4-pass loop: 8 questions

Post by rdp32 »

Hello all, I am planning on backpacking the four pass loop at the end of the month and have several questions:

1. My impression is that most people go clockwise. Is that indeed the case? If so, I’ll plan on going with the flow to hopefully avoid the crowds as much as possible.

2. I like steep ascents much better than steep descents, as they are easier on my knees. Would either direction (clockwise vs. counterclockwise) be particularly preferred to avoid the steep descents?

3. Does anyone know how deep the streams are at this time of year (end of Aug – beginning of Sep)? I hike in waterproof leather hiking boots, so if the streams are deeper than ankle level then I will need to carry an extra pair of sandals. If my feet get wet only the last day (resulting in less than a day of hiking in wet feet), then I probably won’t bother with the extra sandals.

4. If the loop could be broken up into three even intervals, I’m confident that I could handle the total mileage and elevation gain in 3 days (2 nights). However, after looking at the map, it looks like there would be no way to avoid tackling both West Maroon pass and Frigid Air pass in the same day, as the area between them is above treeline (correct me if I’m mistaken). That would make for a really long day the first day (assuming the clockwise direction), and it would involve starting quite early the first day as well, which would also be a pain. So my tentative plan is to extend this to 3 nights: night 1 between Crater Lake and West Maroon pass, night 2 between Frigid Air pass and Snowmass Lake (hopefully in Fravert basin?) and night 3 at Snowmass Lake. Does this sound like the optimal plan? Are there many nice campsites between Crater Lake and W. Maroon pass (hopefully as close to W. Maroon pass as possible)?

5. Do any sections of the hike get particularly crowded, such that it is hard to get a campsite? How early do you typically have to be to get a campsite at the good places (like Snowmass lake or Fravert basin)? If, for example, it’s tough to get a campsite at Snowmass Lake on the weekend, then I’ll maybe schedule my trip to camp there during the week.

6. I have a four-day weekend available, and can make any combination of days work (Thur-Sun, Sat-Tues, etc.). Does anyone have any idea which days would be preferred if I want to avoid the crowds as much as possible?

7. If there are any must-do additions/variations to this hike, please let me know. I would consider Geneva Lake, Willow Lake, or Buckskin benchmark if any are particularly recommended and would fit into a 3-night schedule. I’ll probably pass on Snowmass Mtn this time. I need to keep this to 3 nights because I doubt my little bear canister (which is now required in this area) would hold more food than that!

8. About parking (I know I should know this, but am frankly confused): can I just drive up to the trailhead, self-register, and park there? Or do I have to take a shuttle in? I thought I read that if you’re backpacking then you can park at the trailhead, but I also heard that you need to take the shuttle in. Is it just that the trailhead fills up so much that you can’t rely on it and should plan on the shuttle?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Maroon Bells 4-pass loop: 8 questions

Post by Oman »

I've only done it clockwise. The most traffic was around West Maroon Pass and Snowmass Lake. The least was in the Fravert Basin. I remember the steepest hiking as the descent of Buckskin Pass. If steeper descents are your big issue, then you may want to do the loop counter-clockwise. Remember your bear cannister!
highwestified
14ers: 26 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highwestified »

Hello - I did the 4 pass loop clockwise just over 2 weeks ago. I did 4 days, three nights with camps about 1 mile just before west maroon pass, just before the N. Fork Crystal River crossing in Fravert Basin, and just before beginning the first steep portion of the climb up Buckskin Pass (about 1.4 miles past Snowmass lake).

I'll do my best to address your questions by #:
1. It seemed most people I encountered were doing it clockwise - only passed a handful of people going counter-clockwise.
2. The descent off Buckskin pass was quite steep, but not overwhelming. Never had an issue with slipping, etc.
3. The crossing of the N. Fork of the Crystal River in Fravert Basin was the only water crossing where I changed to my sandals - it was probably 18-24 inches deep - definitely well over my ankles.
4. I listed my campsites above, and was happy with each of them. Snowmass lake had lots of good options, but I was glad to have a little more distance already done on morning 4. There are several sites nice sites in the woods around and just beyond the crossing of Snowmass creek.
5. We never had a problem finding a campsite - usually started looking around 3 or 4 PM in the afternoon.
6. We started our hike on Friday morning, and finished Monday morning. There were quite a few people around maroon and crater lakes, obviously, but it thinned out considerably after that. There were several other groups visible around my campsite the first night, only one group the second night, and we didn't see anybody around the third night (though it was pouring all evening). Starting on a Thursday may help with the crowds on first day, but may increase the crowds near trailhead on your final day
7. We just did the loop, so I cannot speak to the variations. The entire area is spectacular, so I doubt you could go wrong with any of these variations
8. We tried to drive up to the trailhead - got to the entrance station at 7:40 AM - and were directed back to Aspen Highlands Ranch to park and take the bus up. It was a minor inconvenience but not too bad. If I recall, the bus came at 8AM and we set out at 8:40. On the return trip, we had to wait about 30 minutes for a bus back down, and the bus was very full.

I hope that helps - l'd be happy to try to answer any more questions. Good luck and enjoy!

-Paul
bmdaugherty
14ers: 49 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bmdaugherty »

I did this loop counterclockwise in July of 2014.

1) That is indeed the case.

2) I did it clockwise, and recall the ascent up Trail Rider to be the steepest. I agree with Oman - the descent down Buckskin was rough. It was both steep and long (though perhaps not as steep as the ascent up Trail Rider).

3) We did it in mid-July, and the water was well over boot height. Can't speak on the water levels at this time.

4) It is possible to complete the hike in 3 days and 2 nights. We started at 5am on Thursday and hiked both W. Maroon and Frigid Air to camp in Fravert Basin. Then we hiked to Snowmass Lake Friday (over Trail Rider) and hiked out Saturday afternoon (over Buckskin). If I did it again, I would take 4 days and 3 nights. It is a very doable hike, but I didn't get to enjoy the first day much as we were hustling to avoid weather.

I can't comment on the availability of campsites between Crater Lake and W. Maroon, but there are some excellent campsites in Fravert Basin adjacent to the river, so take your time and walk a little farther into the basin to find a choice site (we were exhausted after the 2-pass day, and chose the first available campsite higher in the basin).

5) Snowmass Lake was crowded - we got one of the last sites available.

6) I would try to camp near Snowmass Lake on a Monday, I imagine there will be the fewest people.

7) We did not complete any variations, but I've heard good things about Geneva Lake.

8) My understanding is that there are two lots: a day use lot, and an overnight lot. The Maroon Lake Road closes between 9am-5pm, during which day-use visitors must take the shuttle while private vehicles are restricted (with exceptions). Previously, they let backpackers in during this time to park at the overnight lot, but due to very significant increases in use last summer, they temporarily restricted overnight users as well (overnight users were parking in the day use lot).

We were able to drive up to the overnight lot, park, register, and leave. You may get lucky and find a spot if you show up early, but plan on parking being an issue (i.e. requiring you to take the shuttle).
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

The 4-Pass Loop is one of the best 3-night backpacking trips I've done. You'll love it. Per your questions:

1) I went counterclockwise. I actually preferred this because then you quickly pass any ongoing traffic and aren't walking just ahead or just behind them for miles.

2) More reason to go counterclockwise, since you'll be ascending the steep SE slope of Buckskin Pass.

3) I can't tell you how deep the streams will be now--hopefully someone can. But I underestimated how high and raging they would be when I did it in late June . . . was soaked nearly up to my waist. The crossing below Geneva Lake was the worst.

4) Avoid camping in the No-Man's-Land Between Frigid Air and West Maroon. I've done it, and it's not fun, especially when there is weather. I would get an early start from the Maroon Snowmass TH and camp at Snowmass Lake on night 1, in the middle of Fravert Basin on night 2, and somewhere along West Maroon Creek on night 3. Then you'll have an easy hike out. This unfortunately doesn't allow you to spend a night at Geneva Lake . . . so just plan a long, leisurely lunch there.

5) Geneva Lake and Snowmass Lake can be crowded on weekends . . . and near Crater Lake.

6) If you go counter-clockwise, I think Thursday-Sunday is better. This way you have a better chance of getting a great spot near Snowmass Lake.

7) I've heard Willow Lake is one of the best kept secrets in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness, but I think adding it would extend your trip past 4 days.

8) You shouldn't need to use the shuttle if you arrive early and let them know you are camping overnight . . . but regulations change so double-check.

Enjoy it! Wish I was going with you!
JToddOken
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JToddOken »

1) I did the loop last year and went counter-clockwise. The entire group agreed that was the best way to do it; several had done it before clockwise but they preferred CC. We left on Sat of labor day weekend and once we got over the first pass (I think it was Buckskin) there was NOBODY around. It was fantastic. We saw a few people camping around the area of Snowmass lake, but otherwise we just didn't see people on loop trail.

2) I don't remember feeling like anything was especially steep going down; maybe a bit after buckskin?

3) When we went (it was the equivalent of 2 weeks from now) I took off my boots once to cross a stream. All other streams were low enough to cross on rocks, etc.

4) we spent 3 nights on the trail. We almost packed out on the last (3rd) night but figured we might as well enjoy another night on the trail. On the 3rd day going CC we did have to tackle West Maroon pass and Frigid Air pass on the same day. It was fine

8) suggest you go very very early before lots fill up, and get early start. I was there before sunrise and parking lots were almost entirely full. The lot at TH was completely full, and we parked down the road ~ 1/4 or 1/2 mile in maybe the last spot.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks all for the replies! It sounds like I will take 4 days / 3 nights for sure. I had been leaning toward going Sat - Tues and doing it clockwise, but after hearing some of your replies I may change my mind and go CCW from Thurs - Sun. I think one advantage to CCW is that it would make it easier to stop by Geneva Lake, as I wouldn't be in a rush to get to Fravert basin (which apparently isn't as crowded; if I were going CW, I would feel the pressure to skip Geneva Lake to get to Snowmass Lake on time).

Is there any convenient place to camp near the trailhead, to make an early start easier (in the event that I go CCW)? By "camp" I mean sleep in my car, so hopefully I could find somewhere.