Shelf/Solitude Lake from Upper Glacier Gorge?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
alpha
14ers: 3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Shelf/Solitude Lake from Upper Glacier Gorge?

Post by alpha »

Does anyone have any beta on getting to Shelf and Solitude Lake from Upper Glacier Gorge (above Black Lake) by skirting the base of Arrowhead?
I plan to be up there already and ideally would get to Shelf/Solitude without dropping down below Black just to bushwhack back up. I drew a crude estimate of what I have in mind on the attached topo. I've been scouting some pictures and it seems like there might be a way that goes, but looking for first hand knowledge.

For reference, I've done the Summit Ramps route up Arrowhead and had no issues with the terrain in that area.
Attachments
Skirt Arrowhead to Shelf/Solitude?
Skirt Arrowhead to Shelf/Solitude?
arrowhead-skirt (Custom).jpg (344.93 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
andrewrose
14ers: 6  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Shelf/Solitude Lake from Upper Glacier Gorge?

Post by andrewrose »

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BqtGp7WD_Ss/U ... 0/gg54.jpg
Here is a photo that may help, or not. Shot (I think) from around 11k near Blue Lake. Looks like alot of slabby terrain and talus and you might end up in trees anyway.
I have done the other method, and found it wasn't bushwhacky at all really. You want to follow the GG trail up until you can see the waterfall exit from Shelf Lake through the trees on your right. Find a small clearing where the trail is pretty close to Glacier Creek. Head to the creek, cross on slabby rocks, and pick up the climbers trail on the other side. There was a little bit of dead fall on the climbers trail, but it was very well defined. I missed it when I went toward the creek, but coming back found a thin trail on the east side of it back to the Glacier Gorge trail.
CEO and head pancake maker at http://www.hikingrmnp.org
alpha
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpha »

andrewrose wrote:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BqtGp7WD_Ss/U ... 0/gg54.jpg
Here is a photo that may help, or not. Shot (I think) from around 11k near Blue Lake. Looks like alot of slabby terrain and talus and you might end up in trees anyway.
I have done the other method, and found it wasn't bushwhacky at all really. You want to follow the GG trail up until you can see the waterfall exit from Shelf Lake through the trees on your right. Find a small clearing where the trail is pretty close to Glacier Creek. Head to the creek, cross on slabby rocks, and pick up the climbers trail on the other side. There was a little bit of dead fall on the climbers trail, but it was very well defined. I missed it when I went toward the creek, but coming back found a thin trail on the east side of it back to the Glacier Gorge trail.
Thanks for the pic. Part of the route from Black to the Summit Ramp route of Arrowhead appears to be on the very left of that picture. I have done the "bushwhack" route you describe and I agree it isn't too bad. I'm trying to combine some things into a longer route and want to see if I can avoid dropping back down just to head back up. This pic makes it look like you might be able to gain the talus or stay lower in the trees both without too much trouble...
vandy
14ers: 27  2 
13ers: 16 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vandy »

You should be able to reach the talus without cliffing out. Not sure if that would be better than just going back to the valley floor though.

Looking south from Shelf Lake:
shelf_terrain.JPG
shelf_terrain.JPG (78.69 KiB) Viewed 958 times
andrewrose
14ers: 6  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (5)

Post by andrewrose »

Found two more that might help. One looks pretty similar to vandys pic posted above.. But knowledge is power!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vojjFZ7qUEw/U ... ad+014.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KtYgtT4bzTk/U ... ad+016.JPG
CEO and head pancake maker at http://www.hikingrmnp.org
alpha
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpha »

Thanks gents! Doesn't look too bad from these pics. If I give it a go, I'll let you know how it turns out!
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

I've done this. If I remember correctly, the difficulty doesn't exceed class 2. Basically you want to be as high as you can just
below the cliffs on Arrowhead.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
alpha
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpha »

DaveLanders wrote:I've done this. If I remember correctly, the difficulty doesn't exceed class 2. Basically you want to be as high as you can just
Awesome, thanks!
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

DaveLanders wrote:I've done this. If I remember correctly, the difficulty doesn't exceed class 2. Basically you want to be as high as you can just
I agree. One can also descend the creek flowing out of Solitude and follow the drainage to meet up with the outflow of Black Lake and the trail down valley. Class 2 or 2+ if I recall correctly.
When life gets you down, climb!