Please ID this Gore for me!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
enlguy
Trip Reports (0)

Please ID this Gore for me!

Post by enlguy »

Hey all,

I moved to Vail several months ago, and just found the time to make my first official summit this past weekend. Now I want to cram in as much as I can before the end of the season. I summitted Uneva and took this picture. There is a ridge of Gores in the center, a little farther back from what I believe to be Point 12,736 and Red Peak. There is a high point on the left side. I'd love to know which peak that is. I sort of marked it for a summit in the next couple weeks, and saw what looked like a reasonable route. I'd love to know so I can gather a little more info on it and figure out where to TH that one.

https://flic.kr/p/yUDxVu
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Re: Please ID this Gore for me!

Post by jbchalk »

The high point just to the left (and behind) Point 12,736' or West Deming is Valhalla.
enlguy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by enlguy »

Thanks, JB. I might have mis-labeled them, myself. I love this range so much, but am still learning about it. I thought Pt. 12,736 was on the left foreground. Is it off to the right in the picture? Probably clear enough what I meant... I'm looking at the ridgeline in the center of the photo, which is set back from the peak or two more fore. There seem to be maybe 4 distinct peaks in the ridge I'm referring to. The one on the far left is a fair bit shorter than the other three. Second from left appears to be the tallest. That's the one I'm looking to identify.

Thanks so much!
SkiBum1287
14ers: 35  2 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SkiBum1287 »

The tallest peak on that ridge is "Mt. Silverthorne" or Willow BM. The peak on the right side of the same ridge is "East Thorne".
Snow!
enlguy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by enlguy »

Right on. Guess I figured that to be ... near Silverthorne. Not father west in Eagle Co. Everything I've heard about Mt. Silverthorne sounds good though.

Any other thoughts on which one I'm looking at, anyone?

Thanks for all the responses.
enlguy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by enlguy »

Nevermind! Of all the irony, I found almost the exact same picture I took on a different peak website while trying to gather some info on Mt. Silverthorne. Sure enough, the photo was labeled as being Mt. Silverthorne from Uneva Peak. So question answered!
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Pretty quick & rough labeling here, but here ya go:
21599200898_1098e98e1a_b.jpg
21599200898_1098e98e1a_b.jpg (174.43 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Brandon - thats some solid MS Paint jerry riggin!
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Miller - I have no idea what the heck I was using to jerry rig that pic, but heck man I hope it gets the point across. I ain't exactly in tune with the forefront of picture painting and labeling.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

^^ This is what happens when you let an engineer draw :wink:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Oh man, crushed by the architect here. You got me , Mike. Looking back on my Gore doodling, that is pretty awful. I should stick with numbers.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

^As an engineer who uses colored pencils professionally, I thought B's work was top shelf.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich