Peak 1-Peak 9 logistics

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CodyHill
14ers: 14  3 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Peak 1-Peak 9 logistics

Post by CodyHill »

Hey everyone. I'm looking into climbing up peak 1 tomorrow and then traversing over to peak 9. I'll be by myself with my car in Frisco so I was just trying to figure out the logistics of getting back to my car. I know I can get the summit stage bus from Breck station back to Frisco, but I'm unclear on the best place to get off the mountain and into town, where I'll pop out, and where that'll be in relation to Breckenridge station. Any advice would be welcome.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Re: Peak 1-Peak 9 logistics

Post by JQDivide »

Just walk down the road from Peak 9.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

You have a couple of options on the Frisco end. Easiest logistically, but not the shortest hiking distance, is to park in the area to the left of the hospital and walk the bikepath (behind said parking lot) west to the trail up to Peak One.

This lets you take the Breck-to-Frisco bus back (it stops at the hospital) without changing buses. You can get closer to the Peak One TH by changing buses, but the time spent waiting might cancel this out, and in the context of doing the traverse doesn't save much effort anyway.

On the Breck end it's probably easiest to just walk all the way down to the bus terminal, which is north of the big parking lot on the west side of town. Breck does have its own bus network which uses the same terminal but I've never used it for this purpose. You can walk down Four O'Clock Road or use the XC ski trails, which may be technically closed depending on time of year.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Pretty sure you can get a bus from main street Breck, that will take you to main street Frisco, without transfer:

http://www.co.summit.co.us/index.aspx?NID=360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would park actually at the Kayak place, which is basically just a short walk across the bridge (bike path) and a coupla hundred paces to the TH.

Also, good bailout after peak 5, as you can just take to CO Trail back down to Frisco, or just to the summit stage stop on HWY9. Both are going to be about the same distance to just getting to the summit of Peak 9, though (alright, maybe, but without the elevation gain).

I'd be interested if access to Breck resort is impacted soon, for their snowmaking stuff. Dunno. If it is, bailing after Peak 5 would be a PITA.

Another option is to bail towards copper on the CO Trail, and walk the bikepath back to your car. Nice loop!

Running it as a loop, is a fun too! The Peaks Trail is mostly downhill from the S. terminus, back to Breck.
Last edited by justiner on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

And don't miss out doing the scrambling on the dragon - that's the best part of the whole thing.

And don't underestimate the time it's going to take to get to Peak 5.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

justiner wrote:Pretty sure you can get a bus from main street Breck, that will take you to main street Frisco, without transfer:
The Breck-Frisco bus runs along Park (highway 9), not Main. It makes one or two stops on Main in Frisco near highway 9, but does not go all the way down Main. The terminal on the Frisco end is behind the Wal-Mart.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

Do you not plan on climbing up Mt Royal or Victoria first? If you do want to go that route, you can park at the Frisco Park n Ride right off exit 201. It's a short trot down the bike path to the Mt. Royal Trailhead.

We walked down the entire road from the top of Peak 10 on what are usually cat walks in the winter. From the base of the Beaver Run Superchair, walk the road downhill to Highway 9, and north to the base of the Gondola. There are buses running every 30 minutes back to Frisco. We got off at Main Street in downtown Frisco and then walked up Main Street a mile back the car. I'd recommend picking up an extra large pizza from Peppino's for the last mile walk back :) I'd also suggest tagging Peak 10 too if you haven't already, that's the best one of the ten, IMO.
Nobleman
14ers: 11  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Nobleman »

Has anyone seeing this done the traverse in the winter either as a mountaineering traverse or (better yet) a ski mountaineering traverse? I've skied the east face of peak 1 (skinned up Victoria), and am intrigued by the idea of doing a winter/spring ski traverse. Any beta would be appreciated!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Nobleman wrote:Has anyone seeing this done the traverse in the winter either as a mountaineering traverse or (better yet) a ski mountaineering traverse? I've skied the east face of peak 1 (skinned up Victoria), and am intrigued by the idea of doing a winter/spring ski traverse. Any beta would be appreciated!
Good idea as a winter climb, not as a ski, the ridge itself doesn't hold much snow. Now if you wanted to climb the peaks, ski the basins and climb back up then that would be cool, it'd probably add about 10k of vertical though.
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Gets a little iffy with access to Breck in the wintertime. I'm not sure you can start out of bounds, then ski in the resort. Double check with that, though. But I guess if you've gotta pass, well, hey... (or is it worth losing your pass?)
TravelingMatt wrote: The Breck-Frisco bus runs along Park (highway 9), not Main. It makes one or two stops on Main in Frisco near highway 9, but does not go all the way down Main. The terminal on the Frisco end is behind the Wal-Mart.
Ah, you're right. It used to go all the way to the Clock Tower - when there was a Clock Tower, right off my front lawn apparently. It stops now right by gondola, now yeah?

I just made the traverse a loop when I was up there. Saves on logistics. Took about a bag of twizzlers ;)
CodyHill
14ers: 14  3 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CodyHill »

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate it. I didn't realize there was a good bailout option at Peak 5. I may utilize that (peak 1-4 is my priority for the fun scrambling) but it seems like it'll be easy enough to figure out where I am and get myself to the bus. Thank you all
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Make sure to finish with Peak 10 if you are going that far, got to complete the traverse!

Start at mount royal, not peak 1. Trip reports mention skirting west of one section between peak 2-3, so watch for that. From Peak 10, take the road down to town. After you stop at Ollie's for the an pulled pork or bacon mac n cheese burger and an Eddyline Pumpkin ale, you will take the breck bus back to frisco, and then I believe there was a trip report that mentioned taking the Copper bus to the mount royal trailhead.

Good luck!

Edit: The winter climb sounds like a fun idea. Since climbing it and not skinning would be likely best option, and carrying your equipment for that much elevation gain in a day would be just ridiculous.... how about climb/skin up peak 10 the day before, stash a pair of skis/board at the radio tower building, then pick them up as you finish the traverse and ski down Peak 10 to end the day?