Lower elevation scrambles in the front range area

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Lower elevation scrambles in the front range area

Post by Broken Knee »

Monster5 wrote:
justiner wrote: Another option would be to start in Eldo, and take a different route up Shirttail. I'm not familiar enough with Eldo to know if there's a more technical/fun route up to the ridgeline, then to Shirttail, to do the "full" ridgeline. .
Gambit is quality.
Agreed on Gambit. My favorite approach to the ridge to Green is to do the Bulge, then go up west, then north and start navigating to Shirttail. If you rope up for the Bulge, then you could swing over and do Gambit. I've never been up for soloing Gambit. You could also take the climber's access trail to Redgarden, then get on the upper West Ridge and head up to Shirttail. I've done a scramble on the SE side of Shirttail but I don't remember the details other than it being dirty and having brushy crap in gullies. You can also get around Shirttail on its west side by reversing the standard descent off the top of Shirttail up to its N ridge, then go north.
When life gets you down, climb!
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

handonbroward wrote:
justiner wrote:
Brian C wrote: Why would it be dangerous? Would the goal be to actually stay on rock the whole way? I guess I've never paid that much attention to that ridge so can't quite picture what it looks like. I would interested in checking it out.
Interestingly enough, it looks like there's a route description in the first edition of Roach's Flatiron guide,

http://www.wwwright.com/climbing/minion ... aments.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With an F2 rating, as well as listed on the SP page as Class 4:

http://www.summitpost.org/south-boulder ... #chapter_6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd think that the best way to get 'er done is start at S. Mesa TH, S. Mesa to Old Mesa -> Shirttail Peak, then follow the ridgeline up? Go down Shadow and rejoin Mesa Trail.

Another option would be to start in Eldo, and take a different route up Shirttail. I'm not familiar enough with Eldo to know if there's a more technical/fun route up to the ridgeline, then to Shirttail, to do the "full" ridgeline.

Bailing out would be easy enough, just go off the west side of the ridge.
Sooo would you mind maybe highlighting those routes on that map so I can visualize a little better? And any interest in attempting it? Sounds like it could be a pretty wild scramble and I am always looking for something more extreme than the 2nd Flatiron close to home.
I went off of this http://www.summitpost.org/north-ridge-f ... ead/688709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I headed west just before the gully they mention. I then headed north on the ridge to S Boulder Peak.
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Broken Knee wrote:...If you rope up for the Bulge...
Soloing the Bulge! Neat! Definitely something I will never experience. For a more sane way, would it be possible to scramble up the east slabs and then work north? I've never tried to connect the upper summits of Redgarden scrambling so not sure if it goes.
jerseybrian wrote:...I didn't have time to do Shirttail because of fading light....
Did you do the ridge in the dark??? Nice work. One of these days I'll get off my duff and check it out. The snow is for sure something that will be an obstacle for the next few months.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

jerseybrian wrote:
handonbroward wrote:
Interestingly enough, it looks like there's a route description in the first edition of Roach's Flatiron guide,

http://www.wwwright.com/climbing/minion ... aments.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With an F2 rating, as well as listed on the SP page as Class 4:

http://www.summitpost.org/south-boulder ... #chapter_6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd think that the best way to get 'er done is start at S. Mesa TH, S. Mesa to Old Mesa -> Shirttail Peak, then follow the ridgeline up? Go down Shadow and rejoin Mesa Trail.

Another option would be to start in Eldo, and take a different route up Shirttail. I'm not familiar enough with Eldo to know if there's a more technical/fun route up to the ridgeline, then to Shirttail, to do the "full" ridgeline.

Bailing out would be easy enough, just go off the west side of the ridge.
Sooo would you mind maybe highlighting those routes on that map so I can visualize a little better? And any interest in attempting it? Sounds like it could be a pretty wild scramble and I am always looking for something more extreme than the 2nd Flatiron close to home.
I went off of this http://www.summitpost.org/north-ridge-f ... ead/688709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I headed west just before the gully they mention. I then headed north on the ridge to S Boulder Peak.[/quote]

Sweett. Thank you.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

Brian C wrote:Soloing the Bulge! Neat! Definitely something I will never experience. For a more sane way, would it be possible to scramble up the east slabs and then work north? I've never tried to connect the upper summits of Redgarden scrambling so not sure if it goes.
I'd climbed it roped enough to know it like the back of my hand, so it felt solid. It's kind of a runout lead so soloing it is somewhat logical if you're looking for a rationalization. For sure you can scramble the E slabs. There is a slightly bouldery move down low. I know this from going up to recover my climbing shoes that some idiot (me) left atop Ruper. I've heard of locals like Horan running the ridge on the upper summits but I'm guessing it's hairy.
When life gets you down, climb!
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

Brian C wrote:
Did you do the ridge in the dark??? Nice work. One of these days I'll get off my duff and check it out. The snow is for sure something that will be an obstacle for the next few months.
I got to the ridge at 4 so the sun was just setting behind the divide. I was pretty rushed to get over to S Boulder because that's more familiar and I wanted to get on a trail for the dark. It took near an hour to get to S Boulder's summit.
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs